What's new

Lockout!!!

NFL is king because contracts aren't guaranteed. Take away guaranteed contracts and the NBA product increases dramatically in quality.
The only way that works, though, is the franchise tag. I am all about that combination. Without a franchise tag, the salary dump spree and fanaticism of grabbing some guy off the shelf when he's available would be PANDEMONIUM. And we wouldn't get to enjoy watching the Knicks have to wait out the terrible contracts they screwed themselves with, either.

But yes, I generally agree. Without half the players mailing it in after they got their money, the product would be much better, in addition to saving all of the money that the owners have wanted to save without taking anything from the guys that deserve theirs (franchise players, good players on rookie deals, modestly/fairly paid veterans).

NFL is king because contracts aren't guaranteed. Take away guaranteed contracts and the NBA product increases dramatically in quality.

Sort of depends what kind of product, from a managerial standpoint, you want to watch. I personally have really loved how important cap management is to the long-term health of a team.

.....racism is not something your born with! It's an acquired "taste"!
Fixed.

Any halfwit can see that the people who fall into your negative definition have some very obvious physical traits in common. It's patently obvious that when you see people with these physical traits you put them into your hopperism box. That is racism. The primary reason you're on this forum is that you like to see what you can get away with saying about a category of people that you despise.

Fixed.

Any halfwit can see that the people who fall into your negative definition have some very obvious physical traits in common. It's patently obvious that when you see people with these physical traits you put them into your hopperism box. That is racism. The primary reason you're on this forum is that you like to see what you can get away with saying about a category of people that you despise.

I've never understood how calling someone a hopper equals racism. For instance, I'm not a big fan of the country & western scene or culture. I might even call people who are "**** kickers." Most of the people who like country and western stuff are white people from rural communities, but not all of them. And while I don't like the culture of country and western music I don't think I qualify as being racist against whites. I also don't like hip hop music or the hip hop culture. I assume when CJ talks about hoppers he's talking about people who are part of hip hop culture. Not all black people are part of hip hop culture and not everyone in that community is black.

So would you care to make an actual argument that in some way demonstrates that CJ is making specifically racist comments? Or are you comfortable just throwing around serious accusations because CJ doesn't embrace multiculturalism as much as you'd like?

I've never understood how calling someone a hopper equals racism. For instance, I'm not a big fan of the country & western scene or culture. I might even call people who are "**** kickers." Most of the people who like country and western stuff are white people from rural communities, but not all of them. And while I don't like the culture of country and western music I don't think I qualify as being racist against whites. I also don't like hip hop music or the hip hop culture. I assume when CJ talks about hoppers he's talking about people who are part of hip hop culture. Not all black people are part of hip hop culture and not everyone in that community is black.

So would you care to make an actual argument that in some way demonstrates that CJ is making specifically racist comments? Or are you comfortable just throwing around serious accusations because CJ doesn't embrace multiculturalism as much as you'd like?
There we go CJ is a "culture-ist"

Not to be confused with a culturist:
2.One who is an advocate of culture.The culturists, by which term I mean not those who esteem culture (as what intelligent man does not ) but those its exclusive advocates who recommend it as the panacea for all the ills of humanity, for its effects in cultivating the whole man.

You may be right about the use of terms like these, but to my ear it sounds like he says "hopper" to demean a group of people he doesn't like. To me, that is an offensive way of talking. As for making an actual argument, I've pointed out that CJs posts prove that he's not here to talk about Jazz basketball, but to attack a category of people who he doesn't like. If you don't believe me do a five minute search of his posts. While others are hoping for a resolution to the labor issue so that they can get back to watching the sport, he's hoping for the lockout to continue as long as possible so that he can see people he doesn't like suffer financially.

So would you care to make an actual argument that in some way demonstrates that CJ is making specifically racist comments?

For a few years, I thought carolinajazz was misunderstood. However, occasionally he lets slip a post that reveals a real racism behind his usually culturally-oriented rhetoric. So, I think he's a racist.

Let's put it this way: CJ knows what he's doing.

There we go CJ is a "culture-ist"

Not to be confused with a culturist:
2.One who is an advocate of culture.The culturists, by which term I mean not those who esteem culture (as what intelligent man does not ) but those its exclusive advocates who recommend it as the panacea for all the ills of humanity, for its effects in cultivating the whole man.

Culture is the only mechanism for the propagation of ideas in any meaningful way. I don't even know if I understand what you're getting at.

You may be right about the use of terms like these, but to my ear it sounds like he says "hopper" to demean a group of people he doesn't like. To me, that is an offensive way of talking. As for making an actual argument, I've pointed out that CJs posts prove that he's not here to talk about Jazz basketball, but to attack a category of people who he doesn't like. If you don't believe me do a five minute search of his posts. While others are hoping for a resolution to the labor issue so that they can get back to watching the sport, he's hoping for the lockout to continue as long as possible so that he can see people he doesn't like suffer financially.

Oh, I agree that CJ is pretty much a mean spirited little troll. I just hope that accusations of racism are made with a sense of how serious such accusations can be. I've defended CJ in the past and then he's said things that I thought crossed a line.

Like SKA said, though, CJ knows what he's doing. He also brings nothing of value to this board, at least as far as I've seen in the last several years.

Oh, I agree that CJ is pretty much a mean spirited little troll. I just hope that accusations of racism are made with a sense of how serious such accusations can be. I've defended CJ in the past and then he's said things that I thought crossed a line.

Like SKA said, though, CJ knows what he's doing. He also brings nothing of value to this board, at least as far as I've seen in the last several years.

We are in agreement, so I wonder why you accused me of making an unfounded and unsupported accusation.

Culture is the only mechanism for the propagation of ideas in any meaningful way. I don't even know if I understand what you're getting at.

He was going for a word play.

A "racist" is someone who is prejudiced against a certain race or races, so a "culture-ist" would perhaps be the word for someone who is prejudiced against a certain culture, or cultures.

However, a "culturist" is someone who APPRECIATES different cultures. So there's a contradiction which is a little humorous.

However, a "culturist" is someone who APPRECIATES different cultures. So there's a contradiction which is a little humorous.

...I certainly appreciate different cultures! I love Jewish food, Greek food, Southern food and the Southern way of life, despite being born and raised in the mid-west! However, I despise the "Hip-hop" culture for reasons too numerous to state!

CJ thread explaining his retardedness. Check! We're good to go for this year right? Let's move on to more pressing (boring) issues.

what lockout?

It aint a lockout till the first regular season game is missed
This definition exists only in your mind. If you were prevented from going to your place of work and if your checks were not being deposited you would have been calling it a lockout a long time ago.

[video]https://bcove.me/ifc7csu9

EDIT: This article was posted this morning. Looks like we've knocked out one hurdle: two to go.

By Chris Sheridan
NEW YORK — NBA owners told nearly two dozen players Friday they plan to quadruple their revenue sharing by Year 4 of a new collective bargaining agreement, and commissioner David Stern went so far as to say that one of the three remaining items of contention has effectively been settled.
“The three big things are the system, the economics, and revenue sharing, and we’ve taken care of one,” Stern said after the sides met for 4 1/2 hours and agreed to sit down again Saturday to resume negotiations.
Several high-profile players were in attendance among the roughly two dozen players in the room, including LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Andre Iguodala, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Elton Brand and Baron Davis.
“Some of the guys standing here, their commitment has been questioned, and their presence here means a lot,” union president Derek Fisher said. “Today was about expressing ourselves, and the owners did, too. It was not a waste of time.”
One insider described the meeting as more or less a scene-setter for the more serious round of talks that will begin at some point during the weekend, possibly carrying into the early part of next week. Of the league’s 29 owners, 10 were in attendance.
Stern has said the owners were already sharing $54 million in revenues, and he previously promised to triple it in a new labor deal.
A quadrupling of that number would provide a pool of at least $216 million by the 2014-15 season.
But owners have resisted including an internal revenue-sharing plan as a part of the new collective bargaining agreement, and they have not moved off that stance. It was unclear if the players had acquiesced to the owners keeping revenue sharing out of the labor agreement, but Stern’s remarks seemed to indicate that they had.
“They know precisely as much as we know as to how it is going to work,” Stern said.
So if Stern is to be taken at his word, the two remaining big issues — finances and the operating system — will be the focus of the chess match over the next several days if the sides are to reach an agreement that will save the scheduled Nov. 1 start of the regular season.
Stern said he did not, and would not, issue a threat to cancel the entire season if an agreement is not reached in this round of discussions.
“It’s as ludicrous today as it was the day Marc Stein wrote it on ESPN.com,” Stern said, taking the unusual step of singling out a reporter for criticism by name and affiliation.