What's new

Nikola Mirotic

It also makes me wonder if Derrick Favors is really going to get a huge contract offer elsewhere, or if the Jazz are better off retaining him as a building block for the near future. I look at the PF cupboard and it’s pretty barren here in the next few years. I’m one of the few who doesn’t hate the Gobert/Favors frontcourt. All depends on the cost, but I’ve always leaned towards keeping him if possible.
It's not up to the Jazz if Favors re-signs.

It's not up to the Jazz if Favors re-signs.
No, it’s not. BUT - they could certainly prioritize keeping him and making him feel wanted. That would go a long ways towards mending any rifts. Depending on what contracts are out there, I could see him having more value to the Jazz (who likely punt on free agency this year) and get an offer reflecting that.

I'm not sold that Favors would re-sign here. This might be our chance to make a good move instead of letting him walk for nothing like Milsap did a few years back.

It also makes me wonder if Derrick Favors is really going to get a huge contract offer elsewhere, or if the Jazz are better off retaining him as a building block for the near future. I look at the PF cupboard and it’s pretty barren here in the next few years. I’m one of the few who doesn’t hate the Gobert/Favors frontcourt. All depends on the cost, but I’ve always leaned towards keeping him if possible.

He won't. I think he is looking at MLE type money.

The same trouble we have in finding a trade partner for him will be the same trouble he finds in FA.

He won't be back... book it.

He won't. I think he is looking at MLE type money.

The same trouble we have in finding a trade partner for him will be the same trouble he finds in FA.

He won't be back... book it.
I’d bring him back for more than MLE money. That should be a no brainer. Even if it’s a short-term deal like Millsap has in Atlanta.

Favs isn't a PF unless your center is the Zinger or Jokic. He is a center in the new NBA. If he wants to start his market is very limited... if he wants to be 3rd big I think a lot of teams will offer him MLE, which is 4/40 range.

I’d bring him back for more than MLE money. That should be a no brainer. Even if it’s a short-term deal like Millsap has in Atlanta.

Thats where it gets sticky because I don't think he would take that from us... all things being equal.

Rudy and Favs just aren't a great fit if they want to maximize their individual talents.

I'm not sold that Favors would re-sign here. This might be our chance to make a good move instead of letting him walk for nothing like Milsap did a few years back.
Millsap walked for nothing because DL fought for (and won) the ability to tank by taking the Warriors trade offer and gutting the roster in a rebuild. I remember that both sides were talking up until the Jazz made the trade and renounced his rights.

Favors isn’t in that same circumstance, but I’m not sure that Utah can’t still be in the conversation if they want to.

Rudy. Donovan. Money. They’ll likely shake up the roster here over the next 6 months and make another playoff run next year.

Favs isn't a PF unless your center is the Zinger or Jokic. He is a center in the new NBA. If he wants to start his market is very limited... if he wants to be 3rd big I think a lot of teams will offer him MLE, which is 4/40 range.
You might be right, but I’d offer him a better contract than 4/40. I’d easily give him a similar contract to what he got before, but I’d try to front load it so that it decreases over time.

Okay, Ive decided that the Jazz should trade Rubio and either a lottery protected first or Bradley for Mirotic. Mirotic isnt quite worth a first and is worth more than a second. So give them a first but make them take a salary we dont want.

The pick should be lottery protected this year and next year, then maybe top 10 the year after, and then 2 seconds after that. Or if the Jazz prefer through in Bradley.

Then we can let Favors and Mirotic play until Gobert gets back. If we think Favors want to stay and we can retain him for a reasonable deal, great we have a 3 headed monster for bigs. More likely we get the feeling he wants to move on or is going to be offered more than we want to spend and we trade him at the deadline.

We also trade Burks and JJ at some point closer to the deadline when players are worth more. Send JJ and Favors to Cleveland for Shumpert, Crowder, Osman and probably a pick, or somewhere else for those guys. Or maybe work a deal with Minny. They would want Favors and JJ. Rumors are maybe they are ready to part ways with Wiggins... Or maybe get the other decent French kid. Send Burks to NO or another team looking for a wing for whatever. Maybe Burks for Hill and a NO pick.

I actually like the idea of trading Burks, Rubio and Joe Jesus at the deadline, but keeping Favors. Using contracts and draft picks to somehow turn into Mirotic and Fournier.

A rotation of Gobert, Favors, Mirotic, Sefalosha, Jingles, Fournier, Hood, Mitchell and Neto would be pretty solid - plus you’ve got Udoh, Jerebko and O’Neal for added depth. Sign a cheap veteran PG after cuts get made to hold the position until Exum gets healthy again. That actually sounds like a fun team.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been posted but the Piston and Blazers have now started talking to the Bulls about Mirotic. That'll increase the price I'd think.

Not sure if this has been posted but the Piston and Blazers have now started talking to the Bulls about Mirotic. That'll increase the price I'd think.
I assumed a bunch of teams will be talking to them about Mirotic. I think he will have a lot of interest around the league. Our main hope of getting him for cheap is if he has a short list of places he will go. I think just about every playoff team would want him if it doesnt cost them too much.

I'm always wary of buying high on a hot streak from a player. Why take his 15 games this year as representative of what Mirotic is rather than the 3 years of utter mediocrity he showed previously. Count me as a skeptic.

I'm always wary of buying high on a hot streak from a player. Why take his 15 games this year as representative of what Mirotic is rather than the 3 years of utter mediocrity he showed previously. Count me as a skeptic.

His use and engagement level with the team has been up and down. I think it is fair to worry a bit about his fitting in personality wise. As far as on the court goes he has been a solid shooter and handles the ball well. Even if he shooting comes back down he is still a good shooter and shown that his whole career and can handle the ball and make plays which is what Snyder really want out of a 4. I also assume Snyder can get more out of a player than other teams have. I think our offense would be a better fit for him.

Oh, I am guessing that this has already been posted but all Chicago has to do to get rid of Mirotic's trade veto power is pick up the second year on his contract. Most teams he is being traded to would want that anyways. So where he wants to go does not matter.

Chicago wants a first. The only way we are getting him is giving up a first. The only trade I see is if we send Favors or maybe (less likely) Burks somewhere else and they send salary and a 1st to Chicago. Or if we trade Burks or preferably Rubio for a lottery protected 1st.

Marc Stein: Important to note: If the Bulls pick up their team option on Nikola Mirotic for next season before trading him, Mirotic would lose his current veto power over a trade as because his current contract would become a two-year deal.

–via Twitter TheSteinLine

NOLA has zero use for Favs...

If we can get a first rounder for one of our assets I’d rather have the first rounder... not send it off.

I stand firm... they won’t get a first rounder for him without taking back salary. I will give you Favs and a couple seconds if you want. Maybe they can find a home for Favs but time is not on their side.

It is widely known that the Pelicans will have to use their first rounder to dump Asik. Favors is an expiring big who can actually help NOLA's playoff chances. They get deeper into the playoffs with Favors, they re-sign Boogie with Asik being gone, and Pelican fans are happy.

As for the first, it goes to Chicago with Joe Johnson to get us Mirotic. We don't have to lose Hood, Exum or our first. All we have to do is agree to take Asik with Mirotic.