What's new

Post your personal victories

This kind of **** is why I’ve given up playing basketball. Cycling is great because I can get better and/or maintain where I’m at for probably another 10 years. Also, starting golf at age 41 means I have another thing that I can improve on for several years (although there is a risk of injury here, because a golf swing is such a wickedly asymmetrical thing).

By the time I was 35, with basketball I felt such a steep rate of decline that I just said **** it. And I hated all the aches and pains.
I’ll quit when I’m dead. I usually only hurt when I’m running a little heavy. 39 year old me would whoop 29 year old men’s ***. Although I have slowed and don’t jump as high or as much as I did as a youth I’m so much more effective. Shooting and passing are so much better.

After the pandemic the first few times we were indoors really sucked and I was worried but I’m close to where I was. I can’t get into to cycling and running. It’s really hard and easy to give up or not push yourself. Eventually the impact of basketball will make it hard to compete but I’ve had a few friends play into there late 40s and early 50s that are still really good… they take better care of themselves than I do… so I’m going to have to watch myself.

Pay is not good but I started translating a book and it satisfies my soul so much.
Great. I also translated a book and managed to get it published two years ago. It was a hobby project for me, I didn't earn anything except from getting free copies but I was happy to get it done and be able to share a book I enjoyed very much with people in my country.

I’ll quit when I’m dead. I usually only hurt when I’m running a little heavy. 39 year old me would whoop 29 year old men’s ***. Although I have slowed and don’t jump as high or as much as I did as a youth I’m so much more effective. Shooting and passing are so much better.

After the pandemic the first few times we were indoors really sucked and I was worried but I’m close to where I was. I can’t get into to cycling and running. It’s really hard and easy to give up or not push yourself. Eventually the impact of basketball will make it hard to compete but I’ve had a few friends play into there late 40s and early 50s that are still really good… they take better care of themselves than I do… so I’m going to have to watch myself.
My basketball peak (in terms of net impact on the game) was probably at 33. But my 33-year old self was often distracted by wondering what I could be doing if I hadn’t lost so much of my first step and my leap. Those both fell off pretty fast for me (I’m way more of an endurance body type than a fast-twitch type). Anyway, that distraction wasn’t great.

I have resisted the urge to go play basketball for two weeks because I am dealing with plantar fasciitis… this is a victory because normally I’d ignore it and limp around for months. Giving it 2 more weeks before I decide to go back. It’s tough because I love playing so much and it feels pretty much good when I play… then it feels like I have blades in my foot.

In other news I hate getting old is so dumb.
Plantar fasciitis is the worst. One thing that really helped me are Altra shoes. Also sleeping in boot that keeps your foot flexed through the night. Insoles helped a bit too though less than those other two. I even went and got shots in my feet (cortisone). So painful and didn't help much.
Good luck. That **** sucks

This kind of **** is why I’ve given up playing basketball. Cycling is great because I can get better and/or maintain where I’m at for probably another 10 years. Also, starting golf at age 41 means I have another thing that I can improve on for several years (although there is a risk of injury here, because a golf swing is such a wickedly asymmetrical thing).

By the time I was 35, with basketball I felt such a steep rate of decline that I just said **** it. And I hated all the aches and pains.
I am 51 and just approaching the peak of my basketball powers! I have the bulk of prime Shaq in the frame of prime Stockton! How can I fail?

Have you looked into hip mobility, stability, strength issues for this, too?

As a cyclist, basically all of my knee issues stem from my hips... so I’m predisposed to thinking in these terms. Regardless, we all sit so much that our hips are chronically out of balance.
Yeah, overall mobility has been a focus of mine the last few months or so. My hips mobility is solid. I squat ATG and can squat pretty heavy when my knee isnt giving me issues.

I'm sure hip mobility will increase my overall knee ability and it's something I will continue to work on (and is part of the program Im currently on, but just later on), but I don't believe it's the main issue right now.

So for now, I'm taking off from playing basketball for the next two months (at least) to focus on the ATG Knee program.

My basketball peak (in terms of net impact on the game) was probably at 33. But my 33-year old self was often distracted by wondering what I could be doing if I hadn’t lost so much of my first step and my leap. Those both fell off pretty fast for me (I’m way more of an endurance body type than a fast-twitch type). Anyway, that distraction wasn’t great.
I was playing 3-5 days a week before the pandemic. With two years off I'm finally playing a couple days a week again. I learned years ago to stop playing on blacktop, so it is hardwood or nothing for me.

I can't dunk or defend fast young guys anymore, and am only good for about an hour before I tire out, but I can shoot better than ever, and love pulling up off screens. It has been nice getting back on the court over the last few months. It is the only exercise I like, and it is a much needed outlet for day to day stresses.

I used to play in a game with former college and a few former NBA players. It was a 3 hour game with no breaks every Friday and 2 substitutions every 7 points. My drop-off in any athleticism I had left and weight gain from not playing in the pandemic has caused me to step away.
Well, greater glories await you if you soak about 3 tablespoons of chia seeds in water (turning them into “chia pudding”). Noticeable effects within a week of daily consumption. It’s pretty much the ideal dietary fiber. Easy to put into protein shakes, smoothies, etc.
I'll have to sacrifice some of my Bob Ross Chia Pet seeds for the betterment of my bowels.

I still get where I want... the threat of a pullup three helps my first step. My issue is I can't finish over help like I did in my youth.. so its sneaky layups or more likely kickouts to open threes. I would say I am much more enjoyable to play with now because I kick out probably 2-3 times as much as I try to finish.

I enjoy the Joe Ingles factor now... wrecking young guys or fast guys as an old man is fun as hell... but year there are times when I miss my young legs.

I still get where I want... the threat of a pullup three helps my first step. My issue is I can't finish over help like I did in my youth.. so its sneaky layups or more likely kickouts to open threes. I would say I am much more enjoyable to play with now because I kick out probably 2-3 times as much as I try to finish.

I enjoy the Joe Ingles factor now... wrecking young guys or fast guys as an old man is fun as hell... but year there are times when I miss my young legs.
We all become less Alec Burks and more Joe Ingles. That’s basically the definition of Father Time.

We all become less Alec Burks and more Joe Ingles. That’s basically the definition of Father Time.
Even Alec Burks became less Alec Burks.

I just wish I could implant my current basketball brain into high school me. Back then pull-up threes were kinda taboo… I got yelled at by a coach after going 2/3 from three in the first couple minutes of a game. “We can’t just shoot threes all day get it into the post!” Now in pickup I get to do crossover side step threes and no one thinks twice about it.

I have resisted the urge to go play basketball for two weeks because I am dealing with plantar fasciitis… this is a victory because normally I’d ignore it and limp around for months. Giving it 2 more weeks before I decide to go back. It’s tough because I love playing so much and it feels pretty much good when I play… then it feels like I have blades in my foot.

In other news I hate getting old is so dumb.
I was playing pickup 3 days a week and my body hated it. During Covid, went back to soccer. Play at least twice a week. My body loves it. It's been a year and a half since my last full court run out.

I'm still rocking a belly, but soccer is just so much better on the body.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app