What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

Still think Stockton has a decent chance to eventually be broken with how many points are scored now. Eventually there will a player who comes out and gets in the perfect situation.

I guess the thing that makes it tough, other than the health, is that Stockton had a consistent star next to him to help carry the bulk of the assist.

If Haliburton could get some like a Lauri next to him, I could see him averaging 15+ assist for a few seasons.

Still think Stockton has a decent chance to eventually be broken with how many points are scored now. Eventually there will a player who comes out and gets in the perfect situation.

I guess the thing that makes it tough, other than the health, is that Stockton had a consistent star next to him to help carry the bulk of the assist.

If Haliburton could get some like a Lauri next to him, I could see him averaging 15+ assist for a few seasons.

Nobody has done 15+, ever. Cy thinks it likely that some dude is going to do that for multiple seasons. Let's see if he can do 12 for an entire season first.

[/QUOTE]
Nobody has done 15+, ever. Cy thinks it likely that some dude is going to do that for multiple seasons. Let's see if he can do 12 for an entire season first.
I didn't say likely, I said I could see. Maybe try watching Pacers games and you would understand what I'm saying.

Last edited:
Not gonna look it up but gonna guess Tyrese has already missed more games in his career than Stock did over his long career. If players start playing for 20+ years on the regular at a high level like Lebron then sure he’s got a shot. That would be the thing that makes the Stockton record reachable. CP has stretched his career out pretty far and still came up 4000 short after 18 years. Would need 5 years at his absolute prime to pass.

I remember people (online) talking about maybe Rajon Rondo doing it back at the beginning of 2010-2011 season. He was averaging something really high, like 13.5 APG. Best thing I can find is that he averaged 12.2 APG prior to the all star break and finished the season at 11.2. It’s not to say it can’t be broken, but even Chris Paul doesn’t even have quite 3/4 of the total assists Stockton has, despite 18 seasons, even if he’s had some injury issues. Jason Kidd with 76.6% of Stockton’s assists in 19 seasons. Halliburton is great and you never say never, but even comparisons to guys who fell way short, those guys have massive track records and résumés in this league and wouldn’t be fair to Halliburton to even throw his name into the ring with those guys at this point. That can change, obviously, but it’s a pretty tall order that requires a massively perfect storm.
They are playing a much faster pace game nowadays. 8 second or less offense used to be an an anomaly but it's pretty common in today’s NBA. Player can rack up 3-4 assists in a matter of min. Of course breaking Stock’s assist total will take time and longevity. But I can see them breaking the record for most assists in a single game at 30.

Also keep in mind they also changed the rule on what counts as an assist. When Stock was playing, they didn't allow the receiving player to take more than 3 dribbles or something like that in order for the passing player to receive the credit for an assist. But now the receiving player can do all sort of dribbling maneuver and still gets credit. Stock can easily average 15 assist per game had he played under the new rule.

Also keep in mind they also changed the rule on what counts as an assist. When Stock was playing, they didn't allow the receiving player to take more than 3 dribbles or something like that in order for the passing player to receive the credit for an assist. But now the receiving player can do all sort of dribbling maneuver and still gets credit. Stock can easily average 15 assist per game had he played under the new rule.
Link?

Assist counting is always wonky. Home guys usually cheat to an extent and I'm sur Utah did for Stockton .

Link?

Assist counting is always wonky. Home guys usually cheat to an extent and I'm sur Utah did for Stockton .
It’s always been subjective. Stock benefited from home cooking but not more than any other player. Larsen had an article detailing it. Basically all the point gods get a home bump in assists. I think it’s slightly more loose now but that’s just because I have YouTube and nba.com and can go back and review it. I think Stockton would get more now just because of pace increase but not a substantial difference. He might also shoot more threes because coaches and GMs learned math. So less potential assists.

Link?

10.9 vs. 10.1.

751 home games. Subtract 601 assists to be generous (to correct him to the road average). He’s still 3,114 assists ahead of second place Jason Kidd.