What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

Even if we let Conley walk/traded Favors we wouldn't have had any cap space.
Yeah which is why we should have never traded for Conley in the first place. The moment we traded for him, it's done. It's game over. We had no choice but to bring him back because we had no cap space even if we just let him walk.

Tony Jones said:
• Team envisions Donovan moving to PG full time, doesn't know what they do with Conley.
• Teams inquired about Rudy leading up to the draft but nothing serious ever materialized.

Conley might net a decent return at the deadline, he's set to make $24M in '23-24 on an expiring but only $14M is guaranteed.
He should still have some value for the right team. His numbers last year were decent enough, shooting over 40% from 3. I thought he would have been perfect for the Sixers a year ago for example, before the Simmons drama and trade.

He should still have some value for the right team. His numbers last year were decent enough, shooting over 40% from 3. I thought he would have been perfect for the Sixers a year ago for example, before the Simmons drama and trade.
The Mavericks, assuming they lose Brunson, are a logical fit. The Pelicans also make sense.

This is not a rumor but just a reminder. Juanchos contract is structured greatly. He should be involved in one deal or another..

BTW when news that Juan is being waived tomorrow happens... it is a nothing burger... they can still bring him back and will likely do so at less than $7M... I'd bet he is a minimum guy... BAE at the most.

Also the Knicks are trying to give away Nerlens Noel. We could absorb him into the Ingles trade exception...
Ingles was traded for one reason that’s too obvious for me to even mention. There’s no intention of that TPE being used. In fact, we’re now in a worse position, because instead of having Joe off our cap this year, we’ve now got $5M of NAW. That’s going to be a lot of tax as collateral of the money we “saved” trading Joe. The only way we use the TPE is if that’s the only logistical way to pick up a particular guy and we were dumping salary elsewhere. But even then that move wouldn’t happen because it would imply we’re trading some draft asset (that we don’t have) to pick up a theoretical Ingles TPE player. But, more importantly, it isn’t going to be Noel.

BTW when news that Juan is being waived tomorrow happens... it is a nothing burger... they can still bring him back and will likely do so at less than $7M... I'd bet he is a minimum guy... BAE at the most.
That’s tomorrow? Thank goodness. Way too many posts implying keeping him at his salary or trading him for someone that effectively means we intended to keep that salary on the books, which we didn’t. And won’t. And now I won’t ever have to explain this again come tomorrow, unless we get the inevitable “why didn’t we _____ with Juancho.”

We need a sticky that says Joe Ingles was salary dumped. He wasn’t traded for a prospect. He wasn’t traded for a vet. He was salary dumped. They didn’t GAF who they got in return (and apparently also didn’t GAF that there was a remaining year of contract coming back) as long as the returning salary wasn’t Joe Ingles’ salary. It wasn’t a trade for a young guy that “didn’t work out.” It was a straight up “save TF money” deal.

But anyway. We’ll continue to talk as if it wasn’t a salary deal.

That’s tomorrow? Thank goodness. Way too many posts implying keeping him at his salary or trading him for someone that effectively means we intended to keep that salary on the books, which we didn’t. And won’t. And now I won’t ever have to explain this again come tomorrow, unless we get the inevitable “why didn’t we _____ with Juancho.”

We need a sticky that says Joe Ingles was salary dumped. He wasn’t traded for a prospect. He wasn’t traded for a vet. He was salary dumped. They didn’t GAF who they got in return (and apparently also didn’t GAF that there was a remaining year of contract coming back) as long as the returning salary wasn’t Joe Ingles’ salary. It wasn’t a trade for a young guy that “didn’t work out.” It was a straight up “save TF money” deal.

6/30 guarantee date... so I assume the news comes out tomorrow that we are waiving him.

I wonder if the Mavs would have any interest in Conley if they lose Brunson?

I wonder if the Mavs would have any interest in Conley if they lose Brunson?
I think they would to an extent... I think they were one of the teams interested in him during FA. It would be like Tim Hardaway Jr. for Mike I guess? Not really improving the defense there.

I think they would to an extent... I think they were one of the teams interested in him during FA. It would be like Tim Hardaway Jr. for Mike I guess? Not really improving the defense there.

I was wondering about Dinwiddie, but I doubt the Mavs would want to give him up for Mike. Hardaway Jr. doesn't really do much for me.

I was wondering about Dinwiddie, but I doubt the Mavs would want to give him up for Mike. Hardaway Jr. doesn't really do much for me.
I think the theoretical Washington deals are better and make more sense but there might be something there with Dallas.

NAW is going to net us a 1st round pick.

What is watch for there is some kind of salary dump where DAL incentivizes a S&T with Brunson and takes Conley from UTA. We’ve talked about rebuilding vs trying to stay competitive….but never rule out straight money savings.

I know I’m not the only one who thinks the Jazz will somehow, someway get under the tax. This is the type of move that helps get that done.

What is watch for there is some kind of salary dump where DAL incentivizes a S&T with Brunson and takes Conley from UTA. We’ve talked about rebuilding vs trying to stay competitive….but never rule out straight money savings.

I know I’m not the only one who thinks the Jazz will somehow, someway get under the tax. This is the type of move that helps get that done.
That would be great. Would love to hear Locke sell that as a win now move... and hear TJ talk about how we are all in... and hear Andy screaming at the top of his lungs about how its BS. Locke and TJ talking about how valuable that TPE is and how much flexibility we have and yada yada...

I think Cuban is pretty spending averse and wouldn't go for it though sadly.

That would be great. Would love to hear Locke sell that as a win now move... and hear TJ talk about how we are all in... and hear Andy screaming at the top of his lungs about how its BS. Locke and TJ talking about how valuable that TPE is and how much flexibility we have and yada yada...

I think Cuban is pretty spending averse and wouldn't go for it though sadly.

I honestly wouldn’t hate it if we did it with the intention of following it up by signing someone to the full MLE. But that is wishful thinking considering Ryan’s tolerance to spend and based off our recent MLE signings it might be malpractice to use it at all :(

If we could come away with Burks, something from NYK, something from DAL, and then use our MLE I think it’s good business. The WAS deal might just not be there for us.