CHINA vs the NBA.

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by yamers, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Handlogten's Heros

Handlogten's Heros Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Jun 13, 2014
  2. NUMBERICA

NUMBERICA Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Because mindless greed is killing us all and that is plainly, obviously too much ****ing money.

fishonjazz likes this.
  3. yamers

yamers Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    China running rampage. Got all these ceos and companies by the balls.

Apple removed the flag of taiwan from their keyboard.

4. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    Thanks for that explanation

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

5. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    Wasn't the revolutionary war all about our Independence from England. Maybe we should have just made signs and marched peacefully instead.
    Same thing for the civil war. People who opposed slavery should have just peacefully protested.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  6. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    I don't think it should be called free speech when there is a very very large consequence/punishment/penalty for the speech. I call that very expensive speech.

Like if Morey's punishment for his tweet (which wasn't even offensive in the first place) was that he gets executed by decapitation then you could still say he was able to exercise his free speech (he was still able to say what he said) and that he knew the consequences would be death so it's his own fault really.

lauriandres likes this.
  7. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    Americans who wanted Independence from England should have just backed down after being warned repeatedly right?

8. Jazzmix

Jazzmix Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    It's really interesting how that situation will play out. What are Chinese expectations? Should Morey be sent to them so they can put him in correction camp? They still seem to be pissed of despite of apologies from the NBA. I even read some rumours that a broadcasting deal with whole NBA may be in danger. I understand that from their point of view they had to make some noise about it to show how tough and strong they are. But if they continue further that way it can lead to the situation when more people will just have enough of keeping mouth shut. If whole western world of sport unites in protest it will make them look really stupid. But maybe it will all quietly settle down, Morey will be kicked out of NBA for good, money will start flowing again and in the future everyone will think twice before tweeting anything.

9. vegas

vegas Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    You try all those things first, but at some point the price of freedom is blood.

fishonjazz likes this.
  10. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    Yep. Sometimes violence is the appropriate and right thing.

11. AlaskanAssassin

AlaskanAssassin Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Not sure I understand what your point is here. Unless the government has punished Morey directly, his rights to free speech have not been violated. There will always be consequences for the things we say and express. When the government is restricting speech, that's the problem.

12. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    There is my point right there. Free speech is a lie. There is plenty of cost that comes with speech. As it should.

AlaskanAssassin likes this.
  13. AlaskanAssassin

May 27, 2010
    We're comparing the situation in Hong Kong to the Revolutionary War now? A study from 2016, performed in Hong Kong, revealed that only 17.4% of Hong Kong citizens supported independence AFTER 2047, when the current agreement ends. The large majority, 70%, want to continue the "One Country, Two Systems" agreement. 14% supported direct governance from China.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/07/...ependence-2047-especially-youth-cuhk-survery/

This situation is nothing like the Revolutionary War. Are Americans supporting an independence war between Hong Kong and China, along with all of the death and carnage that would follow? When you look at it in this light, it's easy to understand why China doesn't want Western culture making the situation worse.

When Morey tweets "Fight for Freedom, Stand with Hong Kong", he's adding fuel to a fire that he doesn't completely understand.

Ron Mexico and fishonjazz like this.
  14. checkbookdoc

checkbookdoc Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Funny, I keep hoping for the opposite.

15. AlaskanAssassin

May 27, 2010
    Fair enough. I guess it depends on what someone is referring to when they say "free speech".

16. framer

framer Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Except for free speech used to be a cultural expectation in the United States. This right here is complete bullcrap. Did people think that authoritarians wouldn't eventually lay hold of the "Cancel Culture" they so lovingly fashioned as a cudgel to beat those they disagreed with? No. We have a history of people being able to say controversial things and push the boundaries. Sometimes it is good, like the civil rights movement, sometimes it sucks, like the Eugenics crap, most of the time it means nothing, like Justin Bieber fandom.

What we have here is ANOTHER government punishing Americans for their speech. It is NOT remotely OK or understandable.

Douchebag K likes this.
  17. checkbookdoc

checkbookdoc Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2017
    @AlaskanAssassin, I find your signature quote about individual rights to be in contrast to what seems to be your stance that the HK protesters should not be supported. Am I misunderstanding you?

18. framer

framer Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    All this being said, the fact that Haywood's shoe contract is suspended made me guffaw just a little. Perhaps that was the point of the whole thing.

"Wait, who authorized those Christmas shoes!? Can this be stopped!?

Lower level staffer- "I've got a plan. Let me call my contact in the government."

But really. When the Hayward Christmas shoes come out, I plan on boycotting China by not buying them.

fishonjazz likes this.
  19. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    No, you did that.
    I saw a post saying that violence is never the answer and responded by saying that sometimes it is and provided one example.

20. AlaskanAssassin

May 27, 2010
    I have enormous respect for the people of Hong Kong that are protesting. I ABSOLUTELY support their right to protest. I hope a solution can be found that is acceptable to the people of Hong Kong that minimizes any more casualties.

I think it's laughable that Americans assume that our values (freedom of speech, religion, democracy) should be adopted by the entire world. I wish we would look in the mirror before assuming that we know what is best for everyone.

To me, the situation is much more nuanced than people realize, starting with the fact that HK was part of a unified China for for 2,000 years prior to being forcefully taken in battle by the British. Are we able to at least contemplate why furthering the division between China and Hong Kong might upset the people of mainland China and it's government? No one seems to want to look at the situation for a different perspective. I've been to China twice (LOVE IT), read as much as I can on the topic, talked to Chinese people in the US who were raised or recently lived in Hong Kong and Beijing (I work in a CPA firm that has lots of these folks) and I barely feel like I understand what is going on.

I posted earlier some data that indicated 70% of HK people were in favor of the One Country, Two Government system. I have a hard time believing that this has significantly changed due to the recent events. Maybe I'm wrong.

Ron Mexico, jom2003 and fishonjazz like this.