CHINA vs the NBA.

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by yamers, Oct 6, 2019.

1. JimLes

JimLes Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    I often do in various situations, and then I pray to whatever gods may be that my country will do the exact opposite.

Ron Mexico likes this.
  2. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    Haha, that made me laugh, partially because it can be true.

3. jom2003

jom2003 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2014
    No need for imagination. It actually happened during the Civil War. Buchanan thought it was unconstitutional to stop the Confederacy from exercising their consitutional power to gain independence. But Lincoln thought otherwise. It was a much more extreme circumstance than the one in Hong Kong actually. Because even if everyone in Hong Kong wants independence(which is no where close from being true), it still won't make up to 1% of the entire Chinese population. And you said it yourself that the majority of people in China are pro-government. So it is really non-negotiable like what that Nets owner said.

But Hong Kong has much more foreign support, unlike Confederacy at the time. That's what makes things tricky. Or else this would have long been resolved. Tons of foreigners and Taiwanese people went there just to help them sustain those protests.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Ron Mexico likes this.
  4. infection

infection Well-Known Member Staff Member 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

May 27, 2010
    I think the challenge here is the fact that nobody — on either side — even existed when these things happened. Why is anyone beholden to some arbitrary point in history? How do we even determine that? Rome used to lay claim to the entire Mediterranean. Should that be restored to them because, well, history? So China believes that these people, their culture, their way of life, etc., is theirs because of a history that predates anyone being alive? For better or worse, this is Hong Kong now. The idea that they should have less say in what happens with their country because of some arbitrary point in history seems fairly archaic.

When we look at a people wanting to preserve their way of life — the only thing they’ve known — and weigh that against “well these people think it’s theirs,” I know which side of that argument is more rational.

5. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    They didnt exist when it happened but many of the things that have happened since people were alive for. and the issue has been on going since and is very alive in people minds. It is also not that old that people dont relate to it. Its not really a comparison to Rome and now. That is a bad comparison. Is the way of life that different? Are they that separate from mainland China?

I dont think that nor do people in China think that. I am pointing out that there is much more to this than that. Also not everyone in HK is a protester or supports the protesters. I am simply pointing out that there is a lot more here than its being simplified as. I agree people should have a say and have their voice heard. Does the vocal minority deserve more of a voice?

Only about 1 in 5 people in HK want independence after 2047. But that number is higher with the younger teens and 20 year olds. But will that change as they get older and more perspective or is it a trend?

6. JimLes

JimLes Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    I mean, I'm Canadian, so the whole idea of trying to stop someone seceding by force seems alien to me. We've had two referenda in the past 40 years on whether a particular province would leave Canada or not. They can have another one whenever they'd like, though it has (since the last one) been clarified what kind of question ought to be asked on such a referendum. Hell, 25% of people here in Alberta apparently support separation right now.

I guess I'm just not used to the idea of holding a country together by force. I mean, what's the point? That said, as you point out above, fewer people in Hong Kong support independence than in my home province. I would like to point out that in recent experience, both in Canada and elsewhere, independence referenda(Brexit included) tend to increase support for leaving by 5-10% compared to pre-campaign polling. Simply because it's so much easier to campaign for the smashing of the status quo.

Ron Mexico likes this.
  7. lauriandres

lauriandres Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Well, according to another forum from an IMHO respected and believable member - the protesters have quite a lot undercover agents from the Mainland who escalate the violence.
    My experience - i have been in China once (2009 summer, one week around Shanghai) and Hong Kong twice (2009 and 2016). IMHO it is even for foreigner like me it is not very difficult to recognize who is a mainland chinese and who is local.

8. Douchebag K

Douchebag K Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
  9. Gameface

Gameface I actually REALLY like Gobert! Contributor 2018 Award Winner

May 25, 2010
    If that GM had said something praising the protesters in France there would have been no effect on the NBA's ability to show games or grow their market in France, at least not as a result of French government action.

China is different that way...

Archie Moses likes this.
  10. Archie Moses

Archie Moses Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    I highly recommend reading clutchfans right now. Never thought I'd say this.

The Rockets blow and we all know. Just submit you dumb clowns as your whole team falls down as we put you in place. It puts a smile on my face.

11. Archie Moses

May 25, 2010

checkbookdoc likes this.
  12. tfivas

tfivas Well-Known Member 2019 Prediction Contest Winner

Feb 10, 2013

fishonjazz and colton like this.
  13. Handlogten's Heros

Handlogten's Heros Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Jun 13, 2014
    He plead ignorance... he might be but I’m doubtful. He’s a smart dude... it’s easy to be woke AF when it earns you points.

I will say the history and culture differences create some ambiguity on this one. It’s just funny to see fearless people clearly scared of the power and influence that money has here.

Would anyone be surprised if silver made 30 calls after this Morey thing and was like “hey guys we woke AF but let’s not talk China... its complicated but anyone that does will be fired on spot”.

colton likes this.
  14. yamers

yamers Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    This is getting out of control.

Silvers posted he isnt gona let china strong arm employees of the NBA.

Blizzard games just banned their grandmaster player for hearthstone and retracted his prize money.

Where is our buddy ronnie who claims china is fair and balanced and fights air pollution. LOL

15. Archie Moses

May 25, 2010
    He definitely knows what's going on. He's been involved in politics his whole life. His dad was assassinated when he was a kid.

Handlogten's Heros likes this.
  16. infection

infection Well-Known Member Staff Member 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

May 27, 2010

17. checkbookdoc

checkbookdoc Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2017
    So, you are literally in the same position as the NBA in that you will be fired if you don't support them. Is all this free speech going to get Jazzfanz blocked by the great firewall? lol

18. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Silver's second statement was quite a bit better than his first, but China is not pleased.

IMG_20191008_111710.jpg

19. tfivas

tfivas Well-Known Member 2019 Prediction Contest Winner

Feb 10, 2013
    This is such a **** show.

20. Handlogten's Heros

Handlogten's Heros Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Jun 13, 2014
    One stupid tweet from a relatively insignificant NBA person. Jeebus… so sensitive.