CHINA vs the NBA.

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by yamers, Oct 6, 2019.

1. jom2003

jom2003 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2014
    Well. Singapore welcomes you lol

Gameface likes this.
  2. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Until they’re the one wrongly accused and detained. Then they’d give a ****.

3. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    Yes, they would. I think that is one of the things people dont like. But the chances of that happening are next to none for them. In a city like Beijing of 22 million people, for an average citizen they are really left alone to do what they want as long as they are harming others or creating a scene. People who are detained are usually people causing some sort of issue that is a big deal. They do track things here but they dont really care about little things like me saying something bad about China. They do care if you are trying to gather people up to start talking bad about China for example.

Personally I have mixed feelings. I really like how it feels much more free to be in China day to day. But I also dont really like a lot of the government knows best attitude and that everything is done behind closed doors. Its a real struggle for someone like me that think the government shouldnt be messing with our day to day lives unless we are hurting people around us. They do that on a small scale but not on a large scale and obviously they are not transparent at all here. Although they are not in the USA either, which I dont like. But it is worse here in that regard. I wish USA would adopt some of the things they do right here.

There is also huge benefits to a government that can just force things.

4. Ron Mexico

May 26, 2010
    People want to make this out like China is bad and USA is good. That is far from the truth. USA has some bad policies and has done some terrible things in general. But overall its a great place to live and you can have a great life there. The same can be said of China. Maybe the current bad things are slightly bigger in China but the sentiment is the same.

AlaskanAssassin, jom2003 and Ellis269 like this.
  5. TedLee

TedLee New Member

Nov 4, 2018
    If you really want to know what really are happening in Hong Kong, I would like to get you more information. Simply let me know how much you really want to know :)

6. jom2003

May 24, 2014
    That's why I highly encourage people to actually visit China, talk to real Chinese people, or do some study on China before taking sides in this ongoing Hong Kong conflict. Politics is a mess. Don't get involved until you are ready to.

7. dalamon

dalamon Well-Known Member 2018 Prediction Contest Winner

Nov 5, 2010
    capitalism is when u prioritize the bottom line above all things.

the nba understands that they have a progressive sports league image in north america, which is why they had to get rid of donald sterling.

in asia, being progressive gets them blacklisted, so they tow the company line.

--

There's an unfortunate neo-colonial, imperialist slant in much of the criticism of China-- but at the end of the day this is a fascist nation placing people in concentration camps, and imprisoning political activists for decades. The NBA has embarrassed themselves.

8. aussietin

aussietin Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Visited China, talked to Chinese people, easy conclusion that Chinese people when supporting their government are the worst people alive. Hong Kong government is absolute crap too.

Taking the side against the Chinese government in Hong Kong issue is the right side the take

9. jom2003

May 24, 2014
    Fair enough. Go for it.

10. colton

colton All Around Nice Guy Staff Member

May 25, 2010
    Less poverty than what? China still has a really low median income, although granted better than it was 20-30 years ago.

11. Ron Mexico

May 26, 2010
    Less than what it was, starving for a huge portion of their country. Pretty much everyone has a roof over there heads and has plenty to eat. More than 850 million people were living in extreme poverty in 1981 in China. That was 88% of their country. It is now less than 1%. That is according to the World Bank a company that USA is the majority share holder of. But by any statistic the countries poverty rates have dropped significantly since about 1990. I dont know that any country has seen such a dramatic difference in the quality of life that China has. Its still very much a developing country.

One thing I like in China is that your home city is responsible for you. If you move to a big city or somewhere and you become homeless they will send you back to where you are from and the city is required to help you get on your feet with food, home, and work. Although they dont really have the drug addiction problems USA does that cause a lot of homelessness or keep people homeless so it can be easier.

They still have work to do but the change is significant and very impressive.

12. colton

colton All Around Nice Guy Staff Member

May 25, 2010
    Ok, just wanted the clarification. Their median household income is still something like only 1/6 of the U.S. But yes, definitely better than it used to be.

13. Ron Mexico

May 26, 2010
    For comparison China went from 88% of their country in extreme poverty to less than 1%. USA during that time has gone from 1.7% to about 4.3% during that same time.

14. jom2003

May 24, 2014
    Man... Are you a professor living in China or something?

15. Ron Mexico

May 26, 2010
    That is the sad part. We have a far high median yet a larger percentage living in extreme poverty. For a country as rich as our with an average standard of living it should be an easy feat for us to have less people living in extreme poverty. Yet its getting worse not better here.

Also keep in mind that things are much much much cheaper here. You need far less money for the most part to live well here. The only thing that is similar is housing prices in the big cities like Beijing and Shanghai.

China probably will never be at the same level as USA for median household income. But that is also due to how rural most of china is and the type of country it is. They have been doing things a certain way for a long long time.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    fishonjazz likes this.
  16. Ron Mexico

May 26, 2010
    Haha, no. I work for the Chinese Olympic committee. I work as a strength and conditioning coach for various Olympic teams. But I talk to a lot of people here and try to get to know as much as I can.

Jazz Spazz and colton like this.
  17. jom2003

May 24, 2014
    Yeah, wish there are more people like you here to speak on this issue. Way too many "ban China", "stand for democracy" empty talks...

AlaskanAssassin and Ron Mexico like this.
  18. Ron Mexico

May 26, 2010
    Well, thanks. Dont get me wrong there are many problems here in China and things I dont like but there are lots of great things and positives as well. China has such a rich long history that the USA cant even begin to compare to. There is a lot of national pride here in China, just like in the USA.

Another issue with the Hong Kong is simply the whole situation to begin with of the terrible things England did to China in the war. Many people take the whole situation very personal and people who are taking Hong Kongs side are siding with what England did to China as well.

AlaskanAssassin likes this.
  19. jom2003

May 24, 2014
    Well not only that, British were ruling Hong Kong in a much more oppressive manner. Protesters were actually killed back then. That's why the protesters and rioters in Hong Kong are currently divided amongst themselves, with many of them being angry young students ignorant of what British rules were like back in the days.

AlaskanAssassin and Ron Mexico like this.
  20. Ron Mexico

May 26, 2010
    Imagine USA in a similar situation and imagine how we would react.

Imagine we lost a war that was not a war where we were the ones attacked. They took NYC and kept it as their country. 150 years later its back and a part of the USA but a group of people there are protesting because they dont like certain USA policies and think they are bad (you can pick whatever policy you want depending on your political affiliation). Do you think USA citizens would be happy to have people from other countries that dont really know all the information to be cheering for the protesters? Does that mean the protesters are completely wrong? No, there is just a lot to this.