CHINA vs the NBA.

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by yamers, Oct 6, 2019.

1. NUMBERICA

NUMBERICA Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Yeah, **** them.

This really isn’t that difficult to make a call about.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    colton, Douchebag K and Zombie like this.
  2. jom2003

jom2003 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2014
    Nope. Morey should've known better

3. lauriandres

lauriandres Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I am not native english speaker - what does the AF mean?

4. jom2003

May 24, 2014
    If he quits his job then yes. But right now he is basically getting paid and saying **** you to the very person that pays him at the same time

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  5. Handlogten's Heros

Handlogten's Heros Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Jun 13, 2014
    As ****... it will get bleeped out... it is the F word...

It’s a term basically meaning very... the kids use it I think.

6. candrew

candrew Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    Talk about a rock and a hard place. I'm sure it's not lost on Kerr that GSW has a ton of Asian American fans, many of whom left China to have a better life in the US - I bet they're not too thrilled with his non-statement.

reignman40 and tfivas like this.
  7. Eminence

Eminence Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    I suspect Morey knew what he was doing. Brought a huge amount of press to an issue with minimal work, good for him. And good job Silver with your most recent statement. Boo to all y'all bitching about money in this thread.

8. Ellipse

Ellipse Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Yeah, money. China was supposed to be the cash cow that replaced the declining cable revenue. Now where is the money coming from for those future $100 million player contracts?

9. Eminence

Feb 25, 2015
    God forbid they'll only be $80 million player contracts or the owners have to shave their profits a bit.

10. NUMBERICA

NUMBERICA Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I guess billionaires and multimultimultimultimulti-millionaire 20-somethings will have to not make as much money. How unfortunate.

fishonjazz, lauriandres and colton like this.
  11. Ellipse

Ellipse Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Oh, I don't mind. But a lot of players are going to be upset when salary caps start dropping.

12. infection

infection Well-Known Member Staff Member 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

May 27, 2010
    We’re over the cap next year anyway. Looks like that makes us a big winner.

13. Douchebag K

Douchebag K Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Dumb post

14. Douchebag K

Douchebag K Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
    IDGAF

15. colton

colton All Around Nice Guy Staff Member

May 25, 2010
    "However, the NBA will not put itself in a position of regulating what players, employees and team owners say or will not say on these issues. We simply could not operate that way." --Good for Adam Silver; now I hope they live up to that policy.

NUMBERICA and vegas like this.
  16. Eminence

Feb 25, 2015
    Superior moral fiber.

17. colton

colton All Around Nice Guy Staff Member

May 25, 2010
    Doesn't seem like that should be an issue for fans though, at least not unless the cap drops so far that Europe becomes a really attractive option to quality players.

NUMBERICA likes this.
  18. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    Nah, they don't really care what I have to say. I'm not important enough.

fishonjazz likes this.
  19. jom2003

May 24, 2014
    Right now im just wishing that none of the Jazz players or coaches get into this political mess

tfivas likes this.
  20. vegas

vegas Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    I'm glad Ron feels safe. A few facts here. Chinese people are amazing. My parents have had several of their students visit and they are very gracious and prefer hanging out with our kids to doing tourist stuff. We have really enjoyed getting to known them. They are also highly intelligent. At least these particular students are generally attending American ivy league schools. I enjoy culture and have tried to learn what I can on these short visits.

Here's some of the things that you cant read on the news. Most of them disobey laws such as the VPN ban, and previously somewhat openly the single child policy (sent kids to family who then claimed). In the country this wasn't enforced as much. I feel like some of these things translate to other areas. Maybe it's why some products are inferior to american made. (Pure speculation on my part) They seem to have pride as Ron has mentioned, but I also get the impression that they are not free to speak always. The government does have a high level of control. They were chosen to go to good schools. Another example. My parents returned to the area where they taught a couple years later. Many of the shops they used to visit had been moved. They had been chosen to relocate to the outskirts away from the prime real estate they used to occupy. Another interesting thing were shops that were illegal somehow, sold lululemon or whatever. They were unmarked back doors and you asked them about a product, then you entered the secret unmarked door to find a store inside. The government does monitor everything. My parents knew they were watched. Not super creepy, but they kept tabs. Chinese mormons meet seperate from american mormons. There was a student that 'joined' the communist party. This means he will work for the government. He passport was revoked and he can never leave again because of his career choice/assignment. It sucks because he really loves our kids. He also breaks the rules to face time (they have to use a VPN to video chat, but everybody does). He is monitored much more closely. Another interesting thing, in Beijing when foreign dignitaries visit, the air clears and it never rains. The last scary thing was military parades. They are filmed and everything must be perfect. You better not look out your blind to ruin the backdrop.

I personally have no opinion on Hong Kong. I dont know enough tbh. I think it's wrong to allow governments to influence free speech. I believe my country stands for this, and basic human rights. It's a difficult question to know when we should be involved or not, but I hope we will always stand for such things.

I also want to throw my hat in the free market concept. I much prefer power to be broken up in the free market. I believe the more the government regulates, the greater the advantage for large companies. The less people with power and money.

Its painful to hear blanket statements that companies only look for their own. I am not well to do, building my first home at 40, but I service many well to do clients. It is the exception to find a selfish person among them. It's common for them to ask to pay before they are billed for instance. They work hard and they dont have time to be on social media to let everybody get to know who they really are, besides, who would believe.

It's been interesting to hear other perspectives here and especially neat to hear more insight from Ron. I hope we all keep open minds. Divided we fall.

Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app

lauriandres and colton like this.