What's new

CHINA vs the NBA.

Oh, I don't mind. But a lot of players are going to be upset when salary caps start dropping.
We’re over the cap next year anyway. Looks like that makes us a big winner.

Yeah, **** them.

This really isn’t that difficult to make a call about.

"However, the NBA will not put itself in a position of regulating what players, employees and team owners say or will not say on these issues. We simply could not operate that way." --Good for Adam Silver; now I hope they live up to that policy.

Oh, I don't mind. But a lot of players are going to be upset when salary caps start dropping.
Doesn't seem like that should be an issue for fans though, at least not unless the cap drops so far that Europe becomes a really attractive option to quality players.

I'm glad Ron feels safe. A few facts here. Chinese people are amazing. My parents have had several of their students visit and they are very gracious and prefer hanging out with our kids to doing tourist stuff. We have really enjoyed getting to known them. They are also highly intelligent. At least these particular students are generally attending American ivy league schools. I enjoy culture and have tried to learn what I can on these short visits.

Here's some of the things that you cant read on the news. Most of them disobey laws such as the VPN ban, and previously somewhat openly the single child policy (sent kids to family who then claimed). In the country this wasn't enforced as much. I feel like some of these things translate to other areas. Maybe it's why some products are inferior to american made. (Pure speculation on my part) They seem to have pride as Ron has mentioned, but I also get the impression that they are not free to speak always. The government does have a high level of control. They were chosen to go to good schools. Another example. My parents returned to the area where they taught a couple years later. Many of the shops they used to visit had been moved. They had been chosen to relocate to the outskirts away from the prime real estate they used to occupy. Another interesting thing were shops that were illegal somehow, sold lululemon or whatever. They were unmarked back doors and you asked them about a product, then you entered the secret unmarked door to find a store inside. The government does monitor everything. My parents knew they were watched. Not super creepy, but they kept tabs. Chinese mormons meet seperate from american mormons. There was a student that 'joined' the communist party. This means he will work for the government. He passport was revoked and he can never leave again because of his career choice/assignment. It sucks because he really loves our kids. He also breaks the rules to face time (they have to use a VPN to video chat, but everybody does). He is monitored much more closely. Another interesting thing, in Beijing when foreign dignitaries visit, the air clears and it never rains. The last scary thing was military parades. They are filmed and everything must be perfect. You better not look out your blind to ruin the backdrop.

I personally have no opinion on Hong Kong. I dont know enough tbh. I think it's wrong to allow governments to influence free speech. I believe my country stands for this, and basic human rights. It's a difficult question to know when we should be involved or not, but I hope we will always stand for such things.

I also want to throw my hat in the free market concept. I much prefer power to be broken up in the free market. I believe the more the government regulates, the greater the advantage for large companies. The less people with power and money.

Its painful to hear blanket statements that companies only look for their own. I am not well to do, building my first home at 40, but I service many well to do clients. It is the exception to find a selfish person among them. It's common for them to ask to pay before they are billed for instance. They work hard and they dont have time to be on social media to let everybody get to know who they really are, besides, who would believe.

It's been interesting to hear other perspectives here and especially neat to hear more insight from Ron. I hope we all keep open minds. Divided we fall.

Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app

China running rampage. Got all these ceos and companies by the balls.

Apple removed the flag of taiwan from their keyboard.

Basically, Hong Kong was British colony returned to China in 1997. During the time as a colony, Hong Kong operated under British law. When it came time to be returned to China, HKers obviously didn't want to just become part of China. So a deal was made operate under a 'one country, two systems' method going forward. Hong Kong has a mini constitution that details the powers the rights people enjoy under Hong Kong, and the degree of interference China can have with Hong Kong. So our current system has separation of powers (administrative, judicial, and legislative branches), unlike China. Chinese national laws do not apply to us because we have our own legal system. We also have our own government (which answers to China), and no censorship on the internet etc.

Within the mini constitution, there is a provision that says things would remain relatively unchanged for 50 years (until 2047). However, a lot of Hong Kong people believe that China is starting to exert more and more power on Hong Kong, in breach of the promise made prior to the handover.

The current fiasco comes from a now-withdrawn extradition bill that would have meant China can extradite people from, despite no extradition treaty being made with them. People were afraid of China claiming people committed crimes then extraditing them to the lawless and corrupt China, so over 1 million people took the streets multiple times to protest (total population of HK around 7+ million). The dumbass leader of Hong Kong (called the Chief Executive) refused to withdraw the bill for a long *** time, and made people really pissed off, and this ended up bringing up a lot more deep rooted anger people had against the government, leading to today.

Source: me, from Hong Kong
Thanks for that explanation

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I stand for non violent protest and peaceful negotiations in Hong Kong. But unfortuantely this is no longer the case. If we truly care about human rights, the last thing we should do is to stir up and escalate the situations. People from both parties are getting hurt over there.
Wasn't the revolutionary war all about our Independence from England. Maybe we should have just made signs and marched peacefully instead.
Same thing for the civil war. People who opposed slavery should have just peacefully protested.

Last edited:
I have no problem with Morey's right to say what he wants. I am surprised that he didn't think through what would happen as a result of his comments. To me, it's not a "free speech" issue. He's still subject to a public response or response from his employer. If I make public comments that reflect poorly on my employer or cost them $$, I can be fired. This does not restrict my right to free speech.

I don't think it should be called free speech when there is a very very large consequence/punishment/penalty for the speech. I call that very expensive speech.

Like if Morey's punishment for his tweet (which wasn't even offensive in the first place) was that he gets executed by decapitation then you could still say he was able to exercise his free speech (he was still able to say what he said) and that he knew the consequences would be death so it's his own fault really.

Yes. If you approach those riot police in a violent way and refuse to back down after being warned repeatedly.
Americans who wanted Independence from England should have just backed down after being warned repeatedly right?

It's really interesting how that situation will play out. What are Chinese expectations? Should Morey be sent to them so they can put him in correction camp? They still seem to be pissed of despite of apologies from the NBA. I even read some rumours that a broadcasting deal with whole NBA may be in danger. I understand that from their point of view they had to make some noise about it to show how tough and strong they are. But if they continue further that way it can lead to the situation when more people will just have enough of keeping mouth shut. If whole western world of sport unites in protest it will make them look really stupid. But maybe it will all quietly settle down, Morey will be kicked out of NBA for good, money will start flowing again and in the future everyone will think twice before tweeting anything.