What's new

CHINA vs the NBA.

Basically, Hong Kong was British colony returned to China in 1997. During the time as a colony, Hong Kong operated under British law. When it came time to be returned to China, HKers obviously didn't want to just become part of China. So a deal was made operate under a 'one country, two systems' method going forward. Hong Kong has a mini constitution that details the powers the rights people enjoy under Hong Kong, and the degree of interference China can have with Hong Kong. So our current system has separation of powers (administrative, judicial, and legislative branches), unlike China. Chinese national laws do not apply to us because we have our own legal system. We also have our own government (which answers to China), and no censorship on the internet etc.

Within the mini constitution, there is a provision that says things would remain relatively unchanged for 50 years (until 2047). However, a lot of Hong Kong people believe that China is starting to exert more and more power on Hong Kong, in breach of the promise made prior to the handover.

The current fiasco comes from a now-withdrawn extradition bill that would have meant China can extradite people from, despite no extradition treaty being made with them. People were afraid of China claiming people committed crimes then extraditing them to the lawless and corrupt China, so over 1 million people took the streets multiple times to protest (total population of HK around 7+ million). The dumbass leader of Hong Kong (called the Chief Executive) refused to withdraw the bill for a long *** time, and made people really pissed off, and this ended up bringing up a lot more deep rooted anger people had against the government, leading to today.

Source: me, from Hong Kong
Good luck. I stand for Hong Kong.

We should start a #utahjazzstandswithhongkong tag on Twitter and see if we can get it going.
I like your thinking... but I think it would be useless unless it's the whole NBA. So how about #NBAfansStandWithHongKong?

Lmao fake woke NBA is showing their true colors.

Doesn’t he have enough money? This obsession with wealth is straight up hoarding and is damn-near psychopathological.

I can sympathize with someone that has real bills to pay or a career in actual jeopardy, but the league? The stars? This **** is nauseating.

The sad thing is, the situation in Hong Kong is all about politics at this point, not human rights.
I'm pretty sure the people who live there would completely disagree with that assessment. Freedom of press, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom from censorship, free elections, right to a fair trial by one's peers, etc., etc., are all at stake for the Hong Kong residents. (What do you think, @aussietin?)

I'm pretty sure the people who live there would completely disagree with that assessment. Freedom of press, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom from censorship, free elections, etc., etc., are all at stake for the Hong Kong residents. (What do you think, @aussietin?)
Hong Kong are exercising their freedom of speech by going on strikes after strikes, protests after protests right at this very moment. And lets not pretend that every country in this world get access to free and open elections. We should all have learnt this in high school. Different government exercise different governmental systems. British didn't let Hong Kong choose their own leader when they were in charge. And should Japanese, UK, or Russia go on protests too since they did not get to elect their own prime ministers?

Censorship also goes both ways. Both sides are just telling their own stories about what is going on in Hong Kong. I'm not saying who is right. It's just politics. So stay out of it.

Last edited:
I stand for non violent protest and peaceful negotiations in Hong Kong. But unfortuantely this is no longer the case. If we truly care about human rights, the last thing we should do is to stir up and escalate the situations. People from both parties are getting hurt over there.

No such thing as enough money....but I just don't want to ever hear these guys' political opinions again.
I think if you like speaking out (when it’s convenient) and you go back into the woodwork at a time like this, then “shut up and dribble” has now become relevant. Or “shut up and comment about people who dribble.” I think I’m more miffed at the non-players (the executives and the media), as it’s long been conventional wisdom to stay away from controversy and politics. The last few years that conventional wisdom has disappeared as everyone says it’s no longer a political differences issue but a human decency issue. All now all those brave hearts are MIA. I don’t ever want to hear their opinion again.

I don’t know enough about any of this to have a good opinion. I just find it hilarious how two faced the NBA is. Somewhere David stern is laughing... it’s really easy for Silver to boot out the unlikable and racist Donald sterling... taking a stand that shrinks the business of the NBA... “hey we support free speech”. Should have said we are anti-cancer or pro-puppies... support the troops is also a crowd pleaser.

I don’t know enough about any of this to have a good opinion. I just find it hilarious how two faced the NBA is. Somewhere David stern is laughing... it’s really easy for Silver to boot out the unlikable and racist Donald sterling... taking a stand that shrinks the business of the NBA... “hey we support free speech”. Should have said we are anti-cancer or pro-puppies... support the troops is also a crowd pleaser.
This is what's ugly about politics. Now Silver basically has to choose between two bottles of poison

Courageous when the Venn diagram of courage overlaps with revenue.

I'm surprised at some of the responses to this. First off, does Daryl Morey have any idea what he's talking about? Do any of us? Just because you watch CNN doesn't mean you truly grasp what is actually happening over there, or the thousands of years of history in Asia that most of us don't know a thing about. I was in Beijing a few months ago. Most people there just look at Hong Kong as another province of China, with only a few modified rules. How would our Federal Government react if Texas started rioting in order to branch off and become it's own country? Would most of us, or the government, be okay with letting them go?

A lot of people's only response is.........."let them have democracy!" Do people realize that democracy as a form of government has it's own set of problems and issues? I'm not suggesting I want to live under a communist government, but don't act like pure democracy is a perfect solution. Even our founding fathers were wise enough to establish a constitutional republic.

I'm aware China has issues and a history of violating human rights. So does the United States. Their government has brought hundreds of millions out of poverty in the past few decades and by and large the citizens of the country are happy with their government (the exception being protesters in HK). I would imagine they have higher government approval ratings than the US does. I certainly don't want to live there, but at the same time think we need to scale back our criticism and focus on fixing our own government before we tell others how to run theirs.