What's new

John Stockton Claims Medicine is Bad

Errrr… uhhh… ermmmm…
Here ya go.
4:05 ish

View: https://youtu.be/01LbcCDTwF4

There were many pictures and illustrations with the host providing a narrative but very little actual substance. Very very very little actual substance. Like basically no substance.

100% not impressed with this video. 1000% not impressed that you thought this was an answer to the post you responded to.

This reminds me of "the moon landings were fake" scientific proof videos, to be honest. I'm not saying that the video is wrong necessarily, there is just no way to know either way by watching the supplied video.

So guys. I’m licensed and insured. I am really damn good with trigger points (80% of trigger points overlap with acupuncture points)

Let me put my thumb on you, tell me after that it’s only placebo

There were many pictures and illustrations with the host providing a narrative but very little actual substance. Very very very little actual substance. Like basically no substance.

100% not impressed with this video. 1000% not impressed that you thought this was an answer to the post you responded to.

This reminds me of "the moon landings were fake" scientific proof videos, to be honest. I'm not saying that the video is wrong necessarily, there is just no way to know either way by watching the supplied video.

The only part of this video that I wanted to highlight was when the needle was inserted. The reaction of the tissue.
these are real studies.

I’m not trying to impress anybody. I’m not trying to argue with you either.
I’m not a debate major.

But this was part of my training as a massage therapist.
I am passionate about holistic health
And I would not at all share my opinion of it if it wasn’t grounded in holistic health

Everyone that has ever ingested dihydrogen monoxide has died. Obviously chemicals are bad!
iu

On April Fool's Day in 2013, a pair of Florida disc jockeys got themselves into a bit of hot water with station management for prankishly warning their listeners that "dihydrogen monoxide" — another name for that life-giving substance we identify as H2O, or more commonly, "water" — was coming out of local residents' taps:

The radio station's joke involved that “dihydrogen monoxide” was coming out of county residents' taps.The joke immediately got the attention of Patty DiPiero from Lee County Utilities. She said Lee County residents began calling the utility saying they heard on the station that county water was unsafe and should not be used for drinking, showering or for any use.
DiPiero stressed in an email to media outlets that the utility was not having any issues with the water supply and the water is safe to use.
However, some people believed the hoax, at least for a short time.
One woman wrote in saying she worked in the food service industry and was trying to figure out how to serve customers and prepare food without requiring water.

iu

On April Fool's Day in 2013, a pair of Florida disc jockeys got themselves into a bit of hot water with station management for prankishly warning their listeners that "dihydrogen monoxide" — another name for that life-giving substance we identify as H2O, or more commonly, "water" — was coming out of local residents' taps:
Well it's been proven that if you inhale very much of it at all it will kill you.

Errrr… uhhh… ermmmm…
Here ya go.
4:05 ish

View: https://youtu.be/01LbcCDTwF4

that study did prove nothing - here is quote from it. "An important limitation of this study is that a cause and effect relationship between pullout force and therapeutic effect has not been established. This study for the first time demonstrates a link between acupuncture needle manipulation and biomechanical events in the tissue. These biomechanical events are potentially associated with long-lasting cellular and extracellular effects. Developing an understanding of these effects in future studies may eventually lead to insights into acupuncture's therapeutic mechanisms. In the shorter term, these same effects may also provide important biological markers that can be used in clinical trials of acupuncture. "

In short - it discovered that body reacts when needle is inserted, woohoo.!!!!

that study did prove nothing - here is quote from it. "An important limitation of this study is that a cause and effect relationship between pullout force and therapeutic effect has not been established. This study for the first time demonstrates a link between acupuncture needle manipulation and biomechanical events in the tissue. These biomechanical events are potentially associated with long-lasting cellular and extracellular effects. Developing an understanding of these effects in future studies may eventually lead to insights into acupuncture's therapeutic mechanisms. In the shorter term, these same effects may also provide important biological markers that can be used in clinical trials of acupuncture. "

In short - it discovered that body reacts when needle is inserted, woohoo.!!!!
No no no, it's magic. Ancient Chinese magic. Get with the program!

I'm all for whatever works for people, even if I have little interest in it. Pain sucks! I won't tell someone their method won't work. It just might.

I dunno. Not my job to try to convince them. I just know every patient I’ve had and apply pressure to triggerpoints. They don’t turn around and tell me man I’m glad I’m good with my placebo.

I feel real change, right under my hands.

Having spent 4+ years with the Chinese Olympic teams that regularly use stretching, pressure point massages, and acupuncture for their athletes I feel pretty confident that it is ineffective for athletes and overall damaging to their athletic performance. But acupuncture itself does have some effectiveness and there is some studies pointing out its positive effects, but its debatable at best.

Having spent 4+ years with the Chinese Olympic teams that regularly use stretching, pressure point massages, and acupuncture for their athletes I feel pretty confident that it is ineffective for athletes and overall damaging to their athletic performance. But acupuncture itself does have some effectiveness and there is some studies pointing out its positive effects, but its debatable at best.

Stretching is ineffective for athletes and damaging to their athletic performance? That is a bold statement. I would have to disagree with you on that. It’s probably one of the most important things to for injury prevention and recovery.

View: https://youtu.be/6N0mv-E8OU4

Stretching is ineffective for athletes and damaging to their athletic performance? That is a bold statement. I would have to disagree with you on that. It’s probably one of the most important things to for injury prevention and recovery.

View: https://youtu.be/6N0mv-E8OU4

It has its place for certain needs. But often it's damaging for athletes. Newer studies are pointing towards that more and more. Stretching causes strains and micro tears for up to about 24 hours or longer. So stretching before exercise increases your chance for injuries. Similarly right after exercising or performing athletic movements you have caused strain to muscles and ligaments/tendons. It's damaging to stretch the muscles right after that. Then you have the whole tightness in muscles that articles like these point to as being bad, but that isn't the case. Tightness can help you run faster, jump higher and so on. Where stretching does have it's place is helping you be able to use range of motion for the movement in your sport. This is rarely an issue for athletes but does occasionally occur. Then there is pain and injuries in general. This is a place where stretching can help, but this needs to be done with medical personnel advising you, not just stretching all around. You can strongly see the effects of too much stretching in Chinese athletes. A little bit of my research on my PhD in China focused on this. Anecdotally I have seen a huge difference in changing some of these routines in athletes over the last 10+ years of training athletes. Full range of motion movements and mobility exercises are much better over all than the standard static stretching. But people can consider that also stretching so sometimes it's semantics.

PhD in what? Everything you said is counterintuitive when it comes to how muscle skeleton and tissue are known to function. If you have a PhD, then you certainly went through most of the education process I did.

Reduced ROM reduces the amount of force you can generate through muscle contractions. How does having “tight” or reduced ROM in your muscles serve to increase athletes speed? Also athletes use more than just speed.

Y’all just trying to troll I swear

Last edited:
I’m open to new information if it exists and is proven but… all these professional sports teams just seem to be shootings themselves with all the body maintenance they’re doing on their athletes

It has its place for certain needs. But often it's damaging for athletes. Newer studies are pointing towards that more and more. Stretching causes strains and micro tears for up to about 24 hours or longer. So stretching before exercise increases your chance for injuries. Similarly right after exercising or performing athletic movements you have caused strain to muscles and ligaments/tendons. It's damaging to stretch the muscles right after that. Then you have the whole tightness in muscles that articles like these point to as being bad, but that isn't the case. Tightness can help you run faster, jump higher and so on. Where stretching does have it's place is helping you be able to use range of motion for the movement in your sport. This is rarely an issue for athletes but does occasionally occur. Then there is pain and injuries in general. This is a place where stretching can help, but this needs to be done with medical personnel advising you, not just stretching all around. You can strongly see the effects of too much stretching in Chinese athletes. A little bit of my research on my PhD in China focused on this. Anecdotally I have seen a huge difference in changing some of these routines in athletes over the last 10+ years of training athletes. Full range of motion movements and mobility exercises are much better over all than the standard static stretching. But people can consider that also stretching so sometimes it's semantics.
Do you have any studies that show stretching before exercise increases your chance for injuries? You're talking about all major sports from NFL, NBA, NHL which players stretch before games/practices. Major college sports athletes all stretch before games and practices. This statement is going against what almost all professional athletes do before they play their sport. Even my daughters competitive volleyball club spends money on trainers who work with them weekly on stretching, focusing on ankle and knee injury prevention.
I honestly would love to know more. This is not an argument or trying to be combative. I'm very sincere in asking for this. I love sports science and love athlete improvement through science. We spend money on both kids for ocular improvement, running movements, agility/plyometrics and speed at different facilities. You can see huge growth in the kids that do these activities.

Was your PhD in sports or sports related?

Last edited:
He’s trollin man. I got had. Told ya I’m passionate.

I’ll comment on the Chinese medicine thing though. Chinese medicine is taught to massage therapist students at the beginning of the curriculum.

Basically a history lesson and had a lot to do with the elements. (Fire, water, earth, steel) and how to balance out the energies.
It has a Pokémon battle system of strength vs weaknesses.
Everything was condensed into one chapter and just briefly swept over.
And yes, the questions on Chinese medicine are on the final exams. (Both my multi-national license Itec, and multi-state license, mblex)

However, I got the jist that Chinese medicine isn’t meant to be taken literally for medical applications.

Last edited:
Do you have any studies that show stretching before exercise increases your chance for injuries? You're talking about all major sports from NFL, NBA, NHL which players stretch before games/practices. Major college sports athletes all stretch before games and practices. This statement is going against what almost all professional athletes do before they play their sport. Even my daughters competitive volleyball club spends money on trainers who work with them weekly on stretching, focusing on ankle and knee injury prevention.
I honestly would love to know more. This is not an argument or trying to be combative. I'm very sincere in asking for this. I love sports science and love athlete improvement through science. We spend money on both kids for ocular improvement, running movements, agility/plyometrics and speed at different facilities. You can see huge growth in the kids that do these activities.

Was your PhD in sports or sports related?

First it depends what type of stretching we are talking about. What I am referring to as more of a concern is static stretching and to some extent some styles of ballistic stretching. Basically stretch and hold. This used to be commonly done with sports teams and even weightlifters but sometime in the late 80s and early 90s sports performance people realized it was causing more issues than good. Generally today almost every sports performance coach knows not to do this. But it still does exist because of outdated information and because coaches dont really know much about this side of things and just do what they did when they were a player or what they have always done as a coach. The more correct thing to do is a dynamic warmup. This involves a few things but mainly getting blood flow through the muscles and warming the body, activating muscles, and getting a full range of motion out of them through movements. So for example if the sport uses hamstrings I would have them do something like some reps of good mornings and then have them do something like walking scoops or even straight leg marches. Old school coaches would have them do a runners stretch or something like that. You see some teams these days use elastic bands for some dynamic movements but that players tend to start doing static stretching if the coaches arent involved much, these can be okay warmups though. The Jazz did this for along time until they got P3 involved more. There is a time to use static stretching before and that is if you are having issues and your med team wants you to do stretching to loosen something up or get better range of motion out of a joint for something specific, knowing the trade off. Next time you do some serious static stretching jump around and move around right after. You will feel less explosive and somewhat fatigued in the muscles. You also will have greater movement in the joints, which means they are looser and more likely to move further in situations that cause injuries.

A lot of the actual research is behind paywalls but there are plenty of articles summarizing some of it, like these along with some studies in them.

I have a Masters degree in Sports Performance but due to covid and moving from China I have not finished my PHd in sports science. I probably will one day because I enjoy producing research in this field, I finished all my courses and produced a couple smaller research papers but never finished my dissertation. I really enjoy research in post activation potentiation. These days I have slowed down from coaching a lot and do more of the science behind the scenes for team. Such as creating their testing protocol (think combine) and analyzing the data for performance factors and injury risks. Then I create the periodization and framework for their workouts. I also train newer sports performance coaches or strength and conditioning coaches.

First it depends what type of stretching we are talking about. What I am referring to as more of a concern is static stretching and to some extent some styles of ballistic stretching. Basically stretch and hold. This used to be commonly done with sports teams and even weightlifters but sometime in the late 80s and early 90s sports performance people realized it was causing more issues than good. Generally today almost every sports performance coach knows not to do this. But it still does exist because of outdated information and because coaches dont really know much about this side of things and just do what they did when they were a player or what they have always done as a coach. The more correct thing to do is a dynamic warmup. This involves a few things but mainly getting blood flow through the muscles and warming the body, activating muscles, and getting a full range of motion out of them through movements. So for example if the sport uses hamstrings I would have them do something like some reps of good mornings and then have them do something like walking scoops or even straight leg marches. Old school coaches would have them do a runners stretch or something like that. You see some teams these days use elastic bands for some dynamic movements but that players tend to start doing static stretching if the coaches arent involved much, these can be okay warmups though. The Jazz did this for along time until they got P3 involved more. There is a time to use static stretching before and that is if you are having issues and your med team wants you to do stretching to loosen something up or get better range of motion out of a joint for something specific, knowing the trade off. Next time you do some serious static stretching jump around and move around right after. You will feel less explosive and somewhat fatigued in the muscles. You also will have greater movement in the joints, which means they are looser and more likely to move further in situations that cause injuries.

A lot of the actual research is behind paywalls but there are plenty of articles summarizing some of it, like these along with some studies in them.

I have a Masters degree in Sports Performance but due to covid and moving from China I have not finished my PHd in sports science. I probably will one day because I enjoy producing research in this field, I finished all my courses and produced a couple smaller research papers but never finished my dissertation. I really enjoy research in post activation potentiation. These days I have slowed down from coaching a lot and do more of the science behind the scenes for team. Such as creating their testing protocol (think combine) and analyzing the data for performance factors and injury risks. Then I create the periodization and framework for their workouts. I also train newer sports performance coaches or strength and conditioning coaches.
Thanks for this. I really do appreciate it. Your job actually sounds like a blast. I find sports science interesting and I’m eager to learn the newest performance options.
For the last two years Ocular has been a big focus. The improvement of reaction, peripheral, tracking l, player memory and reading (not books, but angles) has been incredible. It has made huge improvements to my daughters defensive volleyball game.
I wish we had these options when I was playing sports.