What's new

Never Trump

Do you have any links to these studies showing that the media skews right? I'd love to read them.

None on me but ill look when I get some time over the weekend if I remember I also have a bunch of them both ways from my college days in papers if I can find them. Most of the studies I have seen show the media had a right bias during Bush years and left bias during the Obama years during the campaign. That to me points to the fact they were the preferred candidate over an agenda. The main complaint about the studies is that when they claim left or right (which there are many both ways) people claim there was a bias by the authors or they had an agenda to prove the bias.

Here is some stuff about this election.

https://thedataface.com/trump-media-analysis/

This shows that Trump was mentioned in the media 2X the amount that Clinton was. It shows that the amount of positive or negative articles ratios of those were pretty even and were up and down. In the end there were slightly more negative articles about Trump but it was really close. Below is the breakdown of the leanings from a few publications. I have not seen anything since this was put out but I am guessing media shifted more right towards the end with the email stuff reemerging with the FBI re investigated right after this was done.

The New York Times, Washington Post and Slate seemed to treat Clinton more favorably, while the Wall Street Journal, Fox News and Weekly Standard expressed more positive sentiment towards Trump. Politico stands out here for appearing to be pro-Trump, though conventional wisdom would say that it’s a very liberal publication.

Last edited:
As I stated in what you quoted I do understand ratings are a big part of the media. Ratings are important to stay in business. Hence why fox news is around. However giving interest pieces and reporting news varies greatly from organizations without agendas to push on people. Keeping rating up is giving people good news and pieces that appeal to their audience that greatly varies. Big media groups are out to make money. That is why I try and watch read and hold accountable news for reporting accurately and doing a good job. That is why there are some great news out there and some great reporters. Yes roughly half the country leans left but half the country leans right so I guess our news wants to appeal to them to keep their rating up... Since that is how they make money.

My wife is an editor for KSL (as well as many others) I am very familiar with how their articles are selected and edited. I am also neighbors with an anchor on the local news and talk with him frequently and other anchors he is friends with. My wife has very rarely been told anything about the articles she selects and edits that are published every day. The only agenda pushed on her is sometimes they feel some interest articles are not family friendly and they want them rewritten. That is extremely rare. None of the other news organizations ask her to do that.

Independent studies have shown that reports in the media have a slight right leaning. That is because that is what most people want to watch and that controls what they generally report. However that right leaning in media is very slight. Other studies have shown that individuals in media have a very slight leaning left but it is slight and it correlates with similar left leaning of college educated Americans, which most of them are. You obviously have bought into conspiracy theories fed to you. Your narrative is word for word from far right think tanks and the ideas. You ignore all the independent studies and research about media in various forms and believe in what you heard your favorite radio guy or the website that has an agenda told you.

People saying the media is against Trump for reporting what he says and does make me laugh. I guess they did sweep the whole Clinton email thing under the rug right? They didnt say anything bad against her. Except there were more negative media stories this year about Clinton than Trump from major news organizations. So maybe you are on to something all of the major media must have had a right wing agenda right? That is based on your theory at least which doesnt hold up well...

You are also assuming people listen to 1 news organization where the majority of intelligent and educated (not necessarily referring to college educated) people take the time to research what they hear, listen to multiple news outlets and believe what they hear at face value.

The vast majority of people who use KSL for their news go to the online site. You probably do not know this based on what you are saying but the vast majority of their articles and lots of other news organizations use Deseret connect for their articles. The articles produced are written by thousands of people just like you and I who submit them. They are then reviewed and edited by wonderful editors who work tirelessly to make sure to eliminate us much bias information as they can to just report the news. So yes there are biases in those articles because you have your biases and I have mine. Good reporters set those aside and good editors look for those and point them out to writers to correct. Fortunately we get enough news form every direction with many different biases that we have a chance to get many different takes and views. At least some of us who dont rely on things like Fox who has a stated agenda and Patriot radio and believe what they hear at face value.

Ill let you go on blaming the big evil made up group called "The Media" that is controlling everyone's minds.
Nice try, but even the major media knows that you are wrong about their bias, and the Trump story is a perfect example:
https://www.wnd.com/2016/11/trump-fallout-major-media-admit-liberal-bias/

Where are all of these studies that you cite?

Nice try, but even the major media knows that you are wrong about their bias, and the Trump story is a perfect example:
https://www.wnd.com/2016/11/trump-fallout-major-media-admit-liberal-bias/

Where are all of these studies that you cite?

Well I quoted one above you. Did you just google and click an article about this issue or are you actually researching it? Is this a study on media or just an author who is providing some anecdotal evidence of what he believes or knows will be good click bait? Is Garth Kant a good unbiased source for news? Does he write for a pro Trump blog?

Even the many people I know who voted for Trump didn't actually believe he would win. I don't think the media was particularly biased in thinking that as well.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

The bigger problem than the media is the lack of critical thinking in this country. People take news or articles and beleive them. They dont see or care about the biases in them or the source. They dont understand the difference between a click bait article, an opinion piece, reporting on news information or a study and who funded that study and why.

One of the most important things college can teach kids is how to look at sources, critically think and research topics. Basically how to learn. I understand that many people go through college and never learn these things and many people dont go to college and learn these things on their own. However the majority of college graduates are better at critical thinking skills and research/learning than non college graduates.

Well I quoted one above you. Did you just google and click an article about this issue or are you actually researching it? Is this a study on media or just an author who is providing some anecdotal evidence of what he believes or knows will be good click bait? Is Garth Kant a good unbiased source for news? Does he write for a pro Trump blog?
Based upon your comments I have a hard time believing that you read either article.

Based upon your comments I have a hard time believing that you read either article.

I did read it. It had a few interesting takes from a couple people. My questions still stand.

Clearly you think anecdotal proof from a very bias author proves any point, I do not. It might be interesting and cause me to want to look into something further but it does not change my opinion one way or the other, nor should it. I could post quotes from myself or from you with almost equal amount of meaning and proof. Your example is on the same level of Babes "proof" of he delivered a news paper as a kid to a journalist who told him the "real" truth.

I have a list of research about the media and their bias levels. I do not think it will change anyones mind one way or the other but ill gather it up tonight and post it. I did also post one already and others have been posted in here that has 0 effect on how you feel about it or anyone else.

The bigger problem than the media is the lack of critical thinking in this country. People take news or articles and beleive them. They dont see or care about the biases in them or the source. They dont understand the difference between a click bait article, an opinion piece, reporting on news information or a study and who funded that study and why.

One of the most important things college can teach kids is how to look at sources, critically think and research topics. Basically how to learn. I understand that many people go through college and never learn these things and many people dont go to college and learn these things on their own. However the majority of college graduates are better at critical thinking skills and research/learning than non college graduates.

Dunno man. Many college kids are trained "think critically" but do they actually think critically? College has a nice way of pounding causes in to young, impressionable minds. They get told how to think an exit with an agenda. College does not teach people to think for thereselves. That is not the point of college at all. It is to instill morals and values, basic principles of advanced jobs, an prove you have what it takes to succeed on your own. College is not mandatory an going voluntarily says something about your character.

I hate when the left tells us only dumb uneducated rednecks vote republican. Most college degrees are half educated dimwits that think they know stuff which is more dangerous than being dumb. "Information in the wrong hands"...

Dunno man. Many college kids are trained "think critically" but do they actually think critically? College has a nice way of pounding causes in to young, impressionable minds. They get told how to think an exit with an agenda. College does not teach people to think for thereselves. That is not the point of college at all. It is to instill morals and values, basic principles of advanced jobs, an prove you have what it takes to succeed on your own. College is not mandatory an going voluntarily says something about your character.

I hate when the left tells us only dumb uneducated rednecks vote republican. Most college degrees are half educated dimwits that think they know stuff which is more dangerous than being dumb. "Information in the wrong hands"...

I dont think college should be mandatory. I disagree with the rest of your assessment. Although I am guessing your made up character Boris didnt go to college but I am guessing you did. Maybe you should have focused on more of your Boris character when you ran for a political office, he would have done well here.

Do you have any links to these studies showing that the media skews right? I'd love to read them.

Here is the one I mentioned during the Gore Bush election cycle. There are a few of these studies from this election cycle. Like I said it seems the "media" is bias towards whoever wins the election. So like the other study shows Trump got the better end of this election, Obama got treated better by the media, Bush got treated better and so on. There is a bias towards who people like more. The media does like to show what people want to see and pay more attention to. Unless its a really bias group like Fox news (news being a very loose term here) is.

https://www.journalism.org/2000/10/31/bush-v-gore/

Here is the summary if you dont want to go to the site.
Bush and Gore received roughly the same amount of coverage, with Bush dominating 24% of the stories and Gore 29%. Another 47% were equally about both candidates. This was true across print, television and the Internet.

But the parity ends quickly. As we found in two of the earlier studies, Bush continues to benefit more than Gore from press coverage. As outlined above, 24% of Bush stories were positive, nearly double the 13% for Gore.

In contrast, the coverage of Gore was more negative. A full 56% of the Gore stories had a negative tone, compared to 49% for Bush. The remaining stories were neutral.

Stories that focused equally on both candidates were more neutral in tone, but the critical treatment of Gore still emerged. Twelve percent were negative toward Gore, while only 8% more were negative toward Bush.

I dont think college should be mandatory. I disagree with the rest of your assessment. Although I am guessing your made up character Boris didnt go to college but I am guessing you did. Maybe you should have focused on more of your Boris character when you ran for a political office, he would have done well here.

You can disagree that is fine but you should talk to recruiters an intelligentsia. You get basics only in 4 year degree an do not learn enough for most part to understand finer points. Name me one 4 year degree that do other then nursing.

You can disagree that is fine but you should talk to recruiters an intelligentsia. You get basics only in 4 year degree an do not learn enough for most part to understand finer points. Name me one 4 year degree that do other then nursing.

I dont think College prepares you to do a specific job for the most part. It gives the tools to be able to learn, research, critically think and a base understanding and background for many issues. I got my first bachelors degree in Poli Sci from a very conservative school and greatly appreciate it. There are degrees and schools that are more hands on that prepare you to do a specific job but I think school at bachelor level should be more broad.

I dont think College prepares you to do a specific job for the most part. It gives the tools to be able to learn, research, critically think and a base understanding and background for many issues. I got my first bachelors degree in Poli Sci from a very conservative school and greatly appreciate it. There are degrees and schools that are more hands on that prepare you to do a specific job but I think school at bachelor level should be more broad.

That is the goal. What I am saying is unlocking a trapped adolescent mind at 18, one that has been told what to do an how to act for its entire life is not going to magically happen in college. This is a fragile an impressionable state. Teach that person a new way of thinking an you are likely giving good information into the wrong hands.

They tell me educated vote democrat an republicans are stooped. Wrong. Large urban areas vote democrat an the rest of the country votes republicans.

President Obama noticed Trump “seemed surprised” as he explained to Trump about his daily duties.

Not surprising in the least. He has never been president and has never had that "inside look" that a career politician would have already had. Surprised is better than dismissive.

Schools today promote a set of "communitarian" values. Churches affiliated with the World Council of Churches agree not to claim exclusive validity but to show respect for other (associated with WCC) churches. The LDS Church today does not teach the "Restoration of the Gospel" per se, because it is a WCC member. Science does not embrace critical thinking anymore, either, but instead promotes "consensus" views as valid regardless of reason. . . .

psychological conditioning has become a management art form. . . .

I disagree on this point. College curriculii development is mostly linked to career objectives. "Trained to the Task" to serve industrial or professional needs/services. You need to be an unhinged professional student to get that critical thinking going......

I was kinda in the nevertrump camp. because i believed he was a liberal in conservative clothing.
dont think he is a conservative. but he promised to build a good conservative government so fa rhe did.

so far looks like he is he pretty good president.