What's new

On the record...

Right, I mean all we accomplished with that was the #1 record in the league, even when we had players checking out completely on defense. Terrible results building around Rudy.

The only reason this all fell apart was Mitchell checked out completely on D and froze Gobert out entirely, and Snyder lost the locker room and could not make in game adjustments to save his life. Rudy consistently is who is and rarely wavered. But when we were running our motion offense through the pick and roll with Rudy the offense was historically elite. As soon as it turned into Mitchell hero ball and freeze out Gobert it all went to ****.
And then we were totally dismantled with ease by a Clippers team that didn’t even have its best player. The issue with Gobert is that you have to build your entire roster around him to maximize his strengths and to protect his weaknesses. We didn’t have the roster for that. It was never going to work. There might be a roster out there where Gobert could contend, but everything has to be perfect if you’re going to be playing him in the post season.

The good news is Minny’s roster around gobert does not work. It’s more flawed than the jazz last year. I think they’d take back the trade in a heartbeat if they could, but they’re stuck with him for the rest of his contract now. They have to double down and make some changes quick.

And then we were totally dismantled with ease by a Clippers team that didn’t even have its best player. The issue with Gobert is that you have to build your entire roster around him to maximize his strengths and to protect his weaknesses. We didn’t have the roster for that. It was never going to work. There might be a roster out there where Gobert could contend, but everything has to be perfect if you’re going to be playing him in the post season.

The good news is Minny’s roster around gobert does not work. It’s more flawed than the jazz last year. I think they’d take back the trade in a heartbeat if they could, but they’re stuck with him for the rest of his contract now. They have to double down and make some changes quick.
No the issue is you need at least 2 other players to buy into a defensive concept with the physical tools to also play some level of defense. Rudy was the least concern in the clippers series. Conley, Mitchell and Bogey being completely unable or unwilling to play the slightest level of defense was the problem. Gobert can cover for one or 2 people not playing stellar D. He can't cover for 3 or 4. Ridiculous people still believe this fully debunked narrative.

Minny's roster could not defend the rim or rebound, at all. Gobert solves those issues for them. Without Gobert they would still be sucking mainly because DLO blows this year and ANT is hella overrated. They should be able to play the same on Offense as they did with Vando, except Rudy is a far better player. Having Beasley back might help them, but it is quite clear that Pat Bev is over. All in all however, I think, without Gobert, they would still be sucking and still not rebounding or protecting the rim. Minny is soft as whipped cream. Gobert helps with that, but he cannot solve it.

However, if they swapped DLO for a functioning point, they would be much, much better. Fortunately for us, they do not have the assets anymore to do that.

Minny's roster could not defend the rim or rebound, at all. Gobert solves those issues for them. Without Gobert they would still be sucking mainly because DLO blows this year and ANT is hella overrated. They should be able to play the same on Offense as they did with Vando, except Rudy is a far better player. Having Beasley back might help them, but it is quite clear that Pat Bev is over. All in all however, I think, without Gobert, they would still be sucking and still not rebounding or protecting the rim. Minny is soft as whipped cream. Gobert helps with that, but he cannot solve it.

However, if they swapped DLO for a functioning point, they would be much, much better. Fortunately for us, they do not have the assets anymore to do that.
I don't disagree with much of what you said... but they are still a bad rebounding team.

I think most of their issues are because the holdovers are sucking (Dlo in particular) but there are also some fit/style issues. I think Ant/Kat work their way into shape and they end up playing better but if Finch can't get these guys organized and motivated he's in trouble.

McDaniels and Ant were supposed to be better this year... and so far not so much... I think that was baked into a lot of the hype.

And we had a) no Conley b) a limping Mitchell and c) (game 6) a broken Rudy. The Clippers series was awful, but I actually felt that was as much injuries as anything. The real tragedy was Dallas.
Dallas being way harder than it needed to bred the Clippers series. Both series had some serious facepalm.

Dallas being way harder than it needed to bred the Clippers series. Both series had some serious facepalm.
Jingles not being on the roster also hurt us in the Dallas series. The team wasn’t ever the same without him. Then again, he never looked right the entire year. The window of opportunity was open that Clippers year. The window had already closed last year when we didn’t improve our wing position and Jingles aged a few years overnight.

The FO didn’t do us any favors. Instead of drafting Doka and Butler, they could’ve drafted Bane and Herb Jones. At least those picks would’ve been attempts to improve the roster and perhaps offset the zero defensive effort made by most of our roster.

Jingles not being on the roster also hurt us in the Dallas series. The team wasn’t ever the same without him. Then again, he never looked right the entire year. The window of opportunity was open that Clippers year. The window had already closed last year when we didn’t improve our wing position and Jingles aged a few years overnight.

The FO didn’t do us any favors. Instead of drafting Doka and Butler, they could’ve drafted Bane and Herb Jones. At least those picks would’ve been attempts to improve the roster and perhaps offset the zero defensive effort made by most of our roster.
I think that's the point. Zero defensive effort=no heart. QS was not holding accountable and kept playing the same system and personal. It was so frustrating to watch. Should shrug. procrastinate, hope it will magically change with no difference in approach or effort.

It takes a while to scout a new coach's tendencies. I think the Jazz will start the season with a winning record for the first 20 games and then he will be scouted and will start to lose badly.
Well this looks like it has happened. Do I get an Arby's sandwich?

Well this looks like it has happened. Do I get an Arby's sandwich?
You are patting your own back prematurely. You were correct about the winning record, but we haven't been "losing badly" yet.

No one is blowing us out, we are in games in the 4th (held lead in 16 of 20 games), our offense still top tier in the league, still showing signs of growth and development. And we haven't had a proper home stretch yet, so we can practice and work on new wrinkles.

You are patting your own back prematurely. You were correct about the winning record, but we haven't been "losing badly" yet.

No one is blowing us out, we are in games in the 4th (held lead in 16 of 20 games), our offense still top tier in the league, still showing signs of growth and development. And we haven't had a proper home stretch yet, so we can practice and work on new wrinkles.
Exactly.

If we have a losing record after our upcoming 6 game home stretch, then let's talk.

Okay, yes it is a little bit premature but the defense the last seven games has been the worst in the league so the possibility is looking like the league may have cracked the code. But granted there hasn't been enough time yet to prove it- I guess we will know in the next two months.

Okay, yes it is a little bit premature but the defense the last seven games has been the worst in the league so the possibility is looking like the league may have cracked the code. But granted there hasn't been enough time yet to prove it- I guess we will know in the next two months.
Getting practice reps should be huge for us, since this group has only been together for 2 months. I think we have to be patient to see what the final product looks like, but next 10 games should give us a clear indication as we get that 6 home game stretch in it as well. I hope the defense is the main focus... I feel like offensively we can hang with the best of them.

They definitely aren’t winning a championship or coming close to it. This is the wrong time to go all-in for Gobert when the West is ****ing stacked and you have three max players on different time lines. Just some absolute terrible planning and moves.

They are an injury away from being a play-in team.

Minnesota isn’t better than Golden St, Denver with Murray coming back, Clippers with Kawhi coming back, Phoenix with the entire team returning, Memphis with the entire team returning, etc.

Tell me which teams they’re going to be better than. They’re gonna be battling for the 5th-6th seed at best. A lot of delusional people on here.

I can’t wait for you to be wrong (once again) and can’t wait to hear the excuses.

Everyone with a brain knows we robbed the Timberwolves and they aren’t going to be much better than the 4th seed at best.

Cy white knighting for Gobert and Minnesota is pathetic at the highest degree. I honestly feel bad for you.

Is Edwards even a good defender? His defensive stats and ratings are terrible. Russell isn’t a good defender and KAT defending the perimeter isn’t going to end well. Again Gobert will have one decent defender with him and covering mistakes of the others. We know how this story ends we’ve seen it multiple times already.

How the **** is the West not loaded???

Golden St (championship team returning)
Denver (adding Murray)
Clippers (adding Kawhi)
Suns (same 60+ win team returning)
Grizzlies (same 55+ win team returning)
Pelicans (playoff team adding Zion)
Mavericks (WCF team adding Wood lost Brunson)

That’s not even including the Lakers if they can figure out a Westbrook trade.

That’s a ****ing blood bath. You are mad delusional.

What about this Minnesota team screamed they were ready? Lmao the play-in win against a team missing their best player?

Edwards and KAT are 21 and 26. Not sure I understand the urgency they felt. Just a horrific trade on their end.

Lol I’ll take 2 unprotected 1sts over McDaniels all day. This dude isn’t anything special.

We got like 9 quarters for the dollar lol.

It’s just wild to me that people act like we got 3 quarters on the dollar when we actually got 9.

Those unprotected picks could also come in super handy before they convey. Say we’re trying to move up in a draft in the near future those can help IMMENSELY.

It’s not the ****ing lottery. We got unprotected picks 3/5/7 years in the future from a franchise who’s made the playoffs two times since 2004.

How in the **** is any of this equal to playing the lottery.

Some pretty prescient posts here that are aging EXTREMELY well.

imo noone cracked any codes regarding Hardy. smh, teams got the memo and just started actually expecting a good showing, from a team expected to be meh at best this season. The Jazz are still a 500 team, or slightly less at the end of the season without further improvements or roster upgrades. But if the losses start piling up over the next week, slim but somewhat posible, they intentionally tank a little bit, by sending out 2 or more key vets in trades, absorbing bad deals for picks. I think its far more likely if they go the seller route, taking back younger win later collection of players for one vet, is the best call.

The real teams are finally starting to play some ball. By the time we get to January the contenders will be taking games more seriously.

Kawhi finally played his first good game of the season last night.

The real teams are finally starting to play some ball. By the time we get to January the contenders will be taking games more seriously.

Kawhi finally played his first good game of the season last night.
I think if they don't sell and in fact are buyers, despite not being the best long term play if not trading up, This team will win a playoff series if they are healthy at the right time. I see them as a "real team" for sure, if we are comparing to the Nuggets, Mavs, Kings, Blazers and the has been version of Klay version of the Warriors.
Only teams I see better contenders in the West are a healthy Clippers , Pels if Zion stays healthy, Suns maybe can get back on track, and the Grizzlies are only slightly ahead of us.
Wolves and Lakers could play spoiler in the play ins but the Jazz would be in those games easy. But I do think the older teams that think they are contenders will play harder down the stretch for seeding to avoid play ins.