What's new

I hate rapists...

There was no problem with lack of reporting, so One Brow's stupid statement about LDS/religious women not reporting was completely wrong in regards to this case.

Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill said his office considered filing charges in cases involving five women, but did not have strong enough evidence in one of the incidents.

One of the four women first went to the Wasatch County Attorney's Office but prosecutors there declined to file charges, Gill said. She then went to the Unified Police Department in March where investigators started putting together pieces of information from several alleged victims.

Once investigators in Salt Lake County began sharing information on the cases, they realized they were all looking at the same person, which made it a stronger case for prosecutors, Gill said.

"I saw a pattern that was not available to (Wasatch County Attorney) Scott (Sweat)," he said. "The strength of four victims coming forward speaks for itself."

But once Salt Lake County detectives realized what was going on, Gill said Wasatch County investigators were helpful in sharing the information they had already collected.
~from OP link

I think we can all agree that there's too much victim blaming in rape cases generally, regardless of the cultural or religious background of the victim.

I think Brow is reaching here though. Brow's statement at it's core is essentially: "women who are more likely to be shamed are less likely to report the rape." I don't think anyone could seriously dispute that claim.

I'm not certain he's got the goods that the LDS church is more likely to be shame the victim though. I think there's another argument to be made that patriarchal structures, especially those that view women as some kind of special chattel, may not perceive that women have enough agency when in the presence of respected men or may hold the man more responsible because of his privileged status. In the absence of some hard stats I'm uninclined to draw conclusions.

As an aside, I always wonder how the percentage of crimes that aren't reported is determined. By definition they are unseen data points.

Hold up!

Does it say somewhere that the women didn't report the rapes?

Given the statistics I'd be stunned if there aren't victims that didn't report. I'd be further surprised if we didn't see some identified in the weeks and months ahead. This happens in virtually every serial rape case where once the dam bursts a whole flood of victims comes forward. We just saw this happen with Sandusky.

I hate them too. Unless they're hot females. Then they can force me to have heterosexual intercourse with them all they want.

Isn't it hilarious when someone makes light of rape victims in a conversation about a rapist? Gee, I sure missed this guy. Especially the part when he starts creeping on every female and alleged female on the board again.

Isn't it hilarious when someone makes light of rape victims in a conversation about a rapist? Gee, I sure missed this guy. Especially the part when he starts creeping on every female and alleged female on the board again.

Still selectively uptight, I see. And don't be scared, kicky... now matter how much more effeminate you get, I will not creep on you. Yet.

Still selectively uptight, I see.

Sorry dude. Your "joke" is offensive and not at all funny.

I'm sure you'd start getting "selectively uptight" if people started making jokes about your past health history.

Context is a lot.

And don't be scared, kicky... now matter how much more effeminate you get, I will not creep on you. Yet.

You left and the position of "well acknowledged board pervert" has been long since filled by Wes Mantooth. You two will have to fight this one out amongst yourselves.

I think we can all agree that there's too much victim blaming in rape cases generally, regardless of the cultural or religious background of the victim.

I think Brow is reaching here though. Brow's statement at it's core is essentially: "women who are more likely to be shamed are less likely to report the rape." I don't think anyone could seriously dispute that claim.

I'm not certain he's got the goods that the LDS church is more likely to be shame the victim though. I think there's another argument to be made that patriarchal structures, especially those that view women as some kind of special chattel, may not perceive that women have enough agency when in the presence of respected men or may hold the man more responsible because of his privileged status. In the absence of some hard stats I'm uninclined to draw conclusions.

As an aside, I always wonder how the percentage of crimes that aren't reported is determined. By definition they are unseen data points.

Given the statistics I'd be stunned if there aren't victims that didn't report. I'd be further surprised if we didn't see some identified in the weeks and months ahead. This happens in virtually every serial rape case where once the dam bursts a whole flood of victims comes forward. We just saw this happen with Sandusky.

Yeah too much victim blaming by criminal defense lawyers.

I hear nothing but compassion for rape victims from Christians, especially LDS (Elizabeth Smart case is a good example). The only religion I see shame toward rape victims is Islam. They stone or honor kill their rape victims.

I don't even understand the bolded argument.

You left and the position of "well acknowledged board pervert" has been long since filled by Wes Mantooth. You two will have to fight this one out amongst yourselves.

DAMMIT... I worked HARD for that position before I left. Ugh.
Ah, well. I've calmed down a lot. In fact, if she doesn't have a tail, blue skin, and hails from a place called "Pandora", she doesn't have a chance with me.

There was no problem with lack of reporting, so One Brow's stupid statement about LDS/religious women not reporting was completely wrong in regards to this case.

~from OP link

My error. The rapes were being reported.

Instead, all these prosecutors decided that a woman's word she had been raped just wasn't good enough. No paternalism there, nosiree. Can't trust them women about saying they were raped.

I believe many of the surveys that they used to investigate the prevalance of rape ask the question of whether the rape/attempted rape was reported, and extrapolate from there.

Instead, all these prosecutors decided that a woman's word she had been raped just wasn't good enough. No paternalism there, nosiree. Can't trust them women about saying they were raped.

Yep, has nothing to do with the law and being innocent until proven guilty. Dang patriarchal cultures that require a judge or jury to have it proven.

Sadly you can't just lock someone away just because a person says they did something bad. It doesn't sound fair when it's true, but rape is a bad situation that is hard to prove. It sucks, but that's just the way it is.

Get off your patriarchal high horse.

Maybe that's just because you are not privy to these conversations, because you're not the one they are trying to boink.

Pretty dumb comment if you ask me.
Sure there are some that pretend to be what they are not so they can take advantage of someone... but I get what Thriller is saying.

You don't think guys might act or say things differently depending on who they are talking to?

Sure a predator would, but a truly spiritual person would not.
You make it sound like all people that are seen as spiritual people are liars and predators.
I think the liars and predators are still fewer than the decent people, and are seen as wolves among the sheep.

Sorry dude. Your "joke" is offensive and not at all funny.

Now wait just one Gordon Damn minute. You think I've spent the last 6 years of my life getting infractions, warnings, and bannings -- not to mention all of the FAKE *** rep from Col*on -- just because I like to tell fart and poop jokes? Well, the answer is unequivocally NO. I AM THE KING OF THE PERVERTS.

Oh my... I mean, forget that the prosecutor has to have actual "facts" in order to charge someone, that **** is not important. Just put your head in the sand and keep popping off that Libtard angle of yours. (how'd I do, Shiller/Slopper?)

Well, the accused rapist made his first court appearance, and, naturally, his attorney denied all the allegations.

https://fox13now.com/2012/07/23/court-appearance-for-gop-fundraiser-suspected-of-rape/

Do you think his defense lawyer really said this or it was just a typo?:

“Their allegations are simply not true; this simply didn’t happen. Our client didn’t commit a crime or commit any legal acts,” says Cara Tangaro, Peterson’s Defense Attorney.

Sadly you can't just lock someone away just because a person says they did something bad. It doesn't sound fair when it's true, but rape is a bad situation that is hard to prove. It sucks, but that's just the way it is.

Here I thought Sandusky was going to prison based on people saying he did something bad. In fact, a whole university is being punished for not reacting strongly enough about people saying that.